Brian Butterfield becomes latest Blue Jays coach to join John Farrell’s staff in Boston

Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

brian-butterfield-blue-jays

John Farrell has brought another member of his Toronto coaching staff with him to Boston, as the Red Sox announced that Brian Butterfield will be their new third base coach.

Butterfield had been with the Blue Jays since 2002, sticking around through four different managers. He spent the past three seasons as third base coach and replaces Jerry Royster.

Farrell previously added Blue Jays first base coach Torey Lovullo to his Red Sox staff as bench coach, replacing Tim Bogar.

1. charlutes - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

John Ferrell has 0 integrity.

• Detroit Michael - Oct 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Farrell owes 100% of his effort to his current employer. Besides that, the Blue Jays could have raised Butterfield’s salary if they wanted to keep him. I fail to see what you’re complaining about.

• hinksonri - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:59 AM

And you know this how? Because the BJ’s (Nice play on words I must say) have done NOTHING since the days of Roberto Alomar/John Olerud/Joe Carter! 1993 was the last season they broke 90 wins (they haven’t won more than 88 games since) 1993 so how is Farrell tenure any worse? How is he responsible (especially this year with all of the injuries)?

I just love how losers like you randomly post unsubstantiated nonsense.. You’ve heard of the Internet, right? It’s that thing you’re on every day in your Mommy’s basement… Well, you can use this thing called the Internet to do another thing called RESEARCH! You are a fool..

Farrell has no Integrity my rear.. He’s was completely honest with your shabby Blue Jay front office from day one (kind of funny how Anthropulous has NEVER REFUTED THAT FAT EITHER!)..

You’re one in a few million who like to hide out online and dive into a conversation when no one’s looking.. A little buzzard looking for a flesh wound to attack.. Maybe you should get past your grade 11 (aye) and learn something..

Dope!

PS: Yes, before you start spouting off “This must be a Red Sox fan” (or the next best “Defense” you’ll start is to pick apart my grammer – good luck with that Mr. Grade 5!) I’ll answer it for you.. The answer is YES… I’m no die hard, I love the game as a whole and little twirps like you infuriate me because you are loathsome little pukes who really have no idea about the game and probably never played it (amateur or pro).. I played amateur, I understand the game and I try to be open minded about the things I don’t/can’t see on in and around the game (let me spell it out for you since you need the help): Front Office Politics!

As the person below said: Farrell owes everything to the Sox and that’s how he’s playing his hand.. That, to me and probably around 80% of the readers here as well, understand..

Go suckle on Mommy’s teet and keep running up her Internet and electric bills BOY.. Walk On now!

• hinksonri - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Above was posted for: “charlutes” and not “Detroit Michael”..

• nbjays - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:48 AM

A Boston fan calling the Blue Jays front office “shabby”. Thanks for the laugh to go with my morning coffee. SMH

2. tfbuckfutter - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Umm….ok, I was kind of on board with the Farrell signing, or at least cautiously optimistic….

But….maybe think outside the box here on the other coaching vacancies. Please.

3. thebadguyswon - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Sox will win what – 96-98 games next year? Things are fixed baby!!

• jon623 - Oct 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Huh…I thought “Over Exaggeration Tuesday” was just for football…

4. cur68 - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Well that takes Butter out of the equation as Beaver Manager. Good thing, too. If he didn’t make Beaver Manager a new boss on the Beav would hire his own guys anyways. Glad Butter’s getting a new job straight away. He always struck me as a decent guy. Hope he can handle the media circus and FO shenanigans that is endemic to Boston.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Butterfield was a good coach; however, as Cur says, this allows the new manager the opportunity to hire his own person.

5. uyf1950 - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Interesting to see the Red Sox who finished the season 69-93 raiding the Blue Jays who finished the season 73-89 for on field staff.

6. mydadyourmom - Oct 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Haha awesome. Hey can you guys take Kelly Johnson too?

• cur68 - Oct 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Oh yes. Yes please take Kelly “Human Strike Out Machine” Johnson.

7. edelmanfanclub - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I don’t see the problem with this at all… the red sox are 76-113 since sept of 2011 its time to move on. Get rid of who cannot help. Clean house. Build around the young guys. Worst case is 2013 is bridge year. I think we can still compete in the AL east next year. We have talent. We just need them to perform.

• bozosforall - Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Boston sucks. Both the team and the city.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3923)
  2. J. Kang (3375)
  3. J. Upton (2892)
  4. C. McGehee (2841)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2816)
  1. M. Kemp (2762)