Oct 30, 2012, 8:28 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired reliever Brandon League from the Mariners at the July 31 trade deadline and were pleased with the numbers (2.30 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 27 1/3 innings) he posted down the stretch. So they’ve decided to keep him around for a while.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, the impending free agent was re-signed on Tuesday evening to a new three-year contract. The financial details of which are not yet available.
Any three-year deal for a reliever deserves to be met with raised eyebrows, but League boasts a 3.14 ERA (and 122 ERA+) since the start of the 2010 campaign. And the Dodgers have enough financial backing now to spend somewhat recklessly.
The 29-year-old righty will presumably serve in a setup role in 2013 behind closer Kenley Jansen.
UPDATE, 8:50 PM: Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM reports that the three-year deal is worth north of $7.1 million per season and Hernandez adds that the Dodgers are viewing League as their closer. Lordy.
UPDATE, 9:02 PM: Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors says the contract is actually worth $7.5 million per year and that it also includes a vesting option. What in the world is Ned Colletti doing?
UPDATE, 9:05 PM: Hernandez confirms: it’s a three-year, $22.5 million contract for League.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)