Oct 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Kenley Jansen underwent surgery last week to address his irregular heartbeat and the Dodgers closer felt good enough to participate in a charity event yesterday.
Jansen has missed time during the past two seasons because of the irregular heartbeat and was forced to take blood thinners this season, but told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that he already feels significantly different:
I feel so much better now than I did at the end of the season. I was dragging all day long at the end. I can tell I’ve got so much more energy. … I’m feeling so good. It wasn’t scary at all. I just wanted to get it over with. I feel it’s a relief and it will be good for me for the rest of my life. I just wanted to get it done, and I know this doctor is one of the great experts and I have a lot of confidence in him.
That’s great to hear, because Jansen is an incredible pitcher and at age 25 has an extremely bright future ahead of him as one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. That he’s been able to post a 2.22 ERA with 14.6 strikeouts per nine innings despite his energy level waning should be a pretty scary thought for NL hitters.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)