Oct 30, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Kenley Jansen underwent surgery last week to address his irregular heartbeat and the Dodgers closer felt good enough to participate in a charity event yesterday.
Jansen has missed time during the past two seasons because of the irregular heartbeat and was forced to take blood thinners this season, but told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that he already feels significantly different:
I feel so much better now than I did at the end of the season. I was dragging all day long at the end. I can tell I’ve got so much more energy. … I’m feeling so good. It wasn’t scary at all. I just wanted to get it over with. I feel it’s a relief and it will be good for me for the rest of my life. I just wanted to get it done, and I know this doctor is one of the great experts and I have a lot of confidence in him.
That’s great to hear, because Jansen is an incredible pitcher and at age 25 has an extremely bright future ahead of him as one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. That he’s been able to post a 2.22 ERA with 14.6 strikeouts per nine innings despite his energy level waning should be a pretty scary thought for NL hitters.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 2
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)