Oct 30, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports that Blue Jays left-hander Ricky Romero underwent arthroscopic elbow surgery and “received platelet-rich plasma injections in both knees to enhance recovery from quad tendinitis,” which perhaps helps explain at least some of his disastrous season.
Romero was an All-Star last season and got off to a decent start this year, but then completely fell apart by going 1-13 with a 7.35 ERA in his final 17 outings.
According to Davidi the elbow surgery was merely a “cleanup” procedure with a six-week recovery timetable, leaving Romero plenty of time to get ready for spring training. He has three years and $23 million remaining on a contract signed in August of 2010.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)