Oct 30, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports that Blue Jays left-hander Ricky Romero underwent arthroscopic elbow surgery and “received platelet-rich plasma injections in both knees to enhance recovery from quad tendinitis,” which perhaps helps explain at least some of his disastrous season.
Romero was an All-Star last season and got off to a decent start this year, but then completely fell apart by going 1-13 with a 7.35 ERA in his final 17 outings.
According to Davidi the elbow surgery was merely a “cleanup” procedure with a six-week recovery timetable, leaving Romero plenty of time to get ready for spring training. He has three years and $23 million remaining on a contract signed in August of 2010.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)