Oct 30, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
That’s the report from Dave O’Brien of the AJC, who says the Braves have contacted Ross’ agent in an effort to get a deal done quickly.
And they likely need to, as starting catcher Brian McCann faces a strong likelihood of not being ready for the start of the season. And given that Ross, who has been the best backup catcher in baseball for several seasons, could very likely have several offers thrown his way if he’s still on the market come Saturday.
Since originally signing with the Braves before the 2009 season, Ross has hit .269/.353/.463 with 24 homers and 94 RBI in 663 plate appearances.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)