Oct 30, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
That’s the report from Dave O’Brien of the AJC, who says the Braves have contacted Ross’ agent in an effort to get a deal done quickly.
And they likely need to, as starting catcher Brian McCann faces a strong likelihood of not being ready for the start of the season. And given that Ross, who has been the best backup catcher in baseball for several seasons, could very likely have several offers thrown his way if he’s still on the market come Saturday.
Since originally signing with the Braves before the 2009 season, Ross has hit .269/.353/.463 with 24 homers and 94 RBI in 663 plate appearances.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (142)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)