Oct 30, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
That’s the report from Dave O’Brien of the AJC, who says the Braves have contacted Ross’ agent in an effort to get a deal done quickly.
And they likely need to, as starting catcher Brian McCann faces a strong likelihood of not being ready for the start of the season. And given that Ross, who has been the best backup catcher in baseball for several seasons, could very likely have several offers thrown his way if he’s still on the market come Saturday.
Since originally signing with the Braves before the 2009 season, Ross has hit .269/.353/.463 with 24 homers and 94 RBI in 663 plate appearances.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)