Oct 30, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
I guess someone has to be on the bottom, so why not a sweep which went head-to-head with football on three of its four nights:
The four games on Fox averaged a 7.6 rating and 12 share, Nielsen Media Research said Monday. The previous low was an 8.4 for the 2008 Phillies-Rays and 2010 Giants-Rangers series, which each went five games.
Last year’s Cardinals-Rangers World Series went the full seven games and built momentum to average a 10.0/16.
I’m sure someone, somewhere will try to make hay out of this, but as we’ve noted ad nauseum: “meh, who cares?” As the recent large TV deals handed out by Fox, TBS and ESPN indicate, and as the local deals — which are the game’s real financial and ratings lifeblood reside — explode, the World Series ratings are not really of consequence in any one year.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)