Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Peralta is coming off one of his worst seasons, hitting just .239 with 13 homers and a .689 OPS in 150 games, but with the free agent shortstop market looking pretty barren bringing him back for $6 million at age 31 was an easy call.
Dotel is 38 years old, but showed little sign of slowing down this season with a 3.57 ERA in 58 innings while striking out more than a batter per inning for the 13th time in 14 seasons. He’ll make $3.5 million in 2013, which is more or less the going rate for a setup man, and the well-traveled Dotel gets to stay with the same team in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2008-2009.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)