Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Peralta is coming off one of his worst seasons, hitting just .239 with 13 homers and a .689 OPS in 150 games, but with the free agent shortstop market looking pretty barren bringing him back for $6 million at age 31 was an easy call.
Dotel is 38 years old, but showed little sign of slowing down this season with a 3.57 ERA in 58 innings while striking out more than a batter per inning for the 13th time in 14 seasons. He’ll make $3.5 million in 2013, which is more or less the going rate for a setup man, and the well-traveled Dotel gets to stay with the same team in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2008-2009.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)