Oct 30, 2012, 6:16 PM EST
The White Sox’s 2013 rotation is set to look a whole lot like the 2012 group after all. The team today re-signed Jake Peavy to a tw0-year, $29 million deal and picked up Gavin Floyd‘s $9.5 million option for 2013.
Peavy will make $14.5 million each of the next two seasons, which amounts to a paycut from the three-year, $52 million contract he was on. That deal included a $22 million option for 2013 with a $4 million buyout. Peavy will receive the $4 million buyout in addition to his new contract. His deal also includes a $15 million player option for 2015 that he’ll be able to pick up if he reaches certain marks the next two years.
Peavy went 11-12 and finished ninth in the AL with a 3.37 ERA last season. It was the first time he had made even 20 starts since 2008, so the White Sox are taking quite a chance in re-signing him. Still, many figured he’d get a three-year deal this winter on the open market.
Floyd’s return isn’t something a lot of people would have anticipated a few months ago, but he did have a strong finish on his way to going 12-11 with a 4.29 ERA in 29 starts for the season. It’s possible the team could still trade him this winter. If he sticks, then the White Sox would seem to be set with a rotation of Chris Sale, Peavy, John Danks, Floyd and Jose Quintana.
The White Sox figure to have some interest in re-signing Youkilis, who hit .236/.346/.425 with 15 homers and 46 RBI in 80 games after coming over from the Red Sox. However, since he is the top third baseman available in free agency, there will be plenty of demand for his services. A two-year deal seems likely.
Myers had a 3.12 ERA in 34 2/3 innings as a setup man following a trade from the Astros. He’ll probably go search for a closer gig elsewhere.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 8
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 25
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)