Oct 30, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
The White Sox’s 2013 rotation is set to look a whole lot like the 2012 group after all. The team today re-signed Jake Peavy to a tw0-year, $29 million deal and picked up Gavin Floyd‘s $9.5 million option for 2013.
Peavy will make $14.5 million each of the next two seasons, which amounts to a paycut from the three-year, $52 million contract he was on. That deal included a $22 million option for 2013 with a $4 million buyout. Peavy will receive the $4 million buyout in addition to his new contract. His deal also includes a $15 million player option for 2015 that he’ll be able to pick up if he reaches certain marks the next two years.
Peavy went 11-12 and finished ninth in the AL with a 3.37 ERA last season. It was the first time he had made even 20 starts since 2008, so the White Sox are taking quite a chance in re-signing him. Still, many figured he’d get a three-year deal this winter on the open market.
Floyd’s return isn’t something a lot of people would have anticipated a few months ago, but he did have a strong finish on his way to going 12-11 with a 4.29 ERA in 29 starts for the season. It’s possible the team could still trade him this winter. If he sticks, then the White Sox would seem to be set with a rotation of Chris Sale, Peavy, John Danks, Floyd and Jose Quintana.
The White Sox figure to have some interest in re-signing Youkilis, who hit .236/.346/.425 with 15 homers and 46 RBI in 80 games after coming over from the Red Sox. However, since he is the top third baseman available in free agency, there will be plenty of demand for his services. A two-year deal seems likely.
Myers had a 3.12 ERA in 34 2/3 innings as a setup man following a trade from the Astros. He’ll probably go search for a closer gig elsewhere.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)