A twist on the “baseball is dying” thing: the NBA is killing it!

Oct 31, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT

Kurtis Blow

Saying that the NFL is more popular than baseball is both (a) true; and (b) old hat. It has become such an obvious thing that I didn’t even blink when I heard Frank DeFord say it for the ten millionth time just this morning, and most of what Frank DeFord says drives me kinda bonkers.

But how about basketball? Are NBA people knocking baseball down as a passe pastime? Yup!

Patrick Rishe of Forbes does it today, using the World Series’ low ratings as a hook.  And even though the article can’t truthfully claim that the NBA is a bigger business (for it is not) or that it gets consistently higher ratings on its telecasts (it doesn’t, though see below), it has the big mo!

There is little doubt that MLB still generates more revenue than the NBA … But when you consider that the NBA’s crescendo has outpaced baseball’s in each of the last 3 years (as the table shows below), this lends further credence to a changing of the guard.

And it’s hip!  The article goes on to note that “hip outplays slow,” “progressive outplays blind adherence to tradition,” and “athleticism and showmanship drive brand awareness more so than ever before.” Oh, and “baseball has no hipster feel,” the author says, as if that’s a bad thing. But the real thrust of the argument is about commerce. About how basketball stars have “personal brands” and how they have bigger endorsement deals.

What really gets me, though is the windup:

But baseball may one day (if not soon or already based on the data presented herein) be relegated to America’s 3rd most popular consumer sport if the likes of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and the soon-to-be new NBA Commissioner Adam Silver have anything to say about it.

The “data presented herein” is Rishe’s own caveat-laden talk about the TV ratings — Rishe himself notes that the NBA has had high-powered Finals matchups in recent years, but even those don’t compare to the ratings the Yankees got in the 2009 World Series or any World Series matchups before that — and some stuff about how NBA stars are more marketable than baseball players. Which, by the way, has always been true, even back when the NBA was teetering on the edge of oblivion.

But even then, at the end, he still concedes that the NBA is likely third, pending the big stars of the NBA and its new commissioner actually doing something about it change things. Which … they haven’t been trying to do already? Well, I’m convinced. Indeed, I haven’t been as convinced by a comparison since I read Rishe’s article about how Josh Hamilton is just like Whitney Houston last winter.

How about this:  the NBA, thanks to the recent dominance of marquee teams and exceedingly marketable players, is currently riding a nice wave, not unlike the sorts of waves it always rides when there are dominant, marketable players and/or the Lakers or Celtics are good. Baseball, meanwhile, has had a couple of World Series with matchups that don’t do much for national ratings. And given that there are probably no two major sports which serve more disparate demographics than do the NBA and Major League Baseball, marketing and star power is kind of irrelevant as a point of comparison.

But hey, I know apples/oranges analysis like that is not as sexy a story to write the week baseball season ends and the NBA season begins, so you keep on keeping on with it, bro.

108 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. randall351 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM

In Kansas City right now I think Little League Soccer would get higher ratings than the mess that is our MLB and NFL teams.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’d like to respond and defend my guys, Randall. But logic won’t allow it.

• zabriskiept - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I read the 3.8 avg. local TV ratings the Royals generated this year during Regular Season is an all-time high. And it’s really not bad, in my opinion, given how many years it is since they were a contending team!

2. thebadguyswon - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Slow day at the office, eh Craig? (And Forbes)

3. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

There will be no baseball games played until March, so you may need to get used to this.

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Yeah go ahead, rub out noses in it. I might as well write a book about the Feesh, for all the time I’d spend staring at the wall otherwise.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Allen Ginsberg’s “Howl?” I read it…good stuff. Thanks for sharing Gator.
        See…I have no problems giving credit where it’s due.
        Even for a far left (spaced out…tune in…turn on…and drop out) freak like Ginsberg. Hahaha!

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Ackcherley, Ginsberg became a suit-and-tie wearing, quiet, fairly apolitical college professor at City College in New York the last couple of decades of his life. He remained more or less a practicing Buddhist but looked pretty conservative for all that. Check out this photo:

I mean, he could have been a campaign strategist for Mayor Bloomberg in that outfit, no?

I had the great good fortune of attending his poetry seminar at New York University and hadn’t seen him in yonks. When he walked in in an outfit pretty much like that one, my jaw dropped like an egg-eating snake. He was a terrific lecturer.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If you wrote a book about the Feesh, I’d buy it, OG. It will likely be the most uniquely esoteric book ever written about baseball, and I mean that as a compliment.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Hahaha! Dead on for a Bloomberg campaign strategist! Wow.

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I’ll only buy it if you sign me a copy, not use any words with the letter “i”, must be one long sentence, and written in the 2nd person. Minimum 300 pages.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I will also purchase the book Gator. But you gotta’ follow the guidelines Cur set forth.
        In fact, I encourage you to do so. We could all read it and have a round table discussion.
        Round Table = Keyboard of course.

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

If it’s only available in e-version, I require you to publicly post a notice stating the date, the title of your work, and acknowledging me and my influence on your work within 10 days of my purchase.

(Wasn’t it easier when we could just go to signings?)

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It would will be avail…heh heh, I mean, it would be available in a Kindle version too, and if I were smart, I would have some sort of illustrious baseball writer write the introduction to it.

It would tell the complete true story of the Feesh and the long road to shoving a stadium down the throats of a reluctant population, and the terrible karmic backlash that followed.

Truth being subjective, and all.

It would include asides about the giant radioactive crocodiles now being genetically formulated in the cooling ponds of the Turkey Point nuclear power plant, and shill shamelessly for the annual Invasive Species Festival at Churchill’s Pub.

It would be full of really disturbing illustrations.

It would be the entire panoply of Life in Macondo as we know it, a big stage on which Scrooge McLoria (whose real story would be told at last, and it’s more ridiculous than you can imagine), the Chihuahua, Teflon Larry and Slobbering Ozzie would be told.

It would tear away the veil from the shame of mantodeaphobia and mammariphobia.

It would disclose the layout of a Ouija Scrabble board and include a complete set of rules, and maybe even a tear-out coupon for ordering one.

And it would have an ISBN number – except that one of the books, and one only, would have a different ISBN number and be redeemable for great prizes!

Stuff like that.

Maybe.

Hungry yet?

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I can’t wait. :-)

• sdelmonte - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There are plenty of games being played. Just none in the majors. But I bet there are winter ball games that are exciting, and offer good glimpses of future stars.

• natslady - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The AFL Rising Stars game on Saturday will be televised (on MLB network).

4. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

““baseball has no hipster feel,”

In the words of Morgan Freeman, “that’s goddamn right.”

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Yeah really Blues.
      Why is it…every time I see or hear the word “hipster” I want to choke someone out?

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

“angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the
        starry dynamo in the machinery of night….”

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Myself and a couple other posters were making sarcastic type comments about being hipsters on the World Series Lowest Rating Ever thread, yesterday. Check it out, it may bring your blood pressure down and not commence some sort of office violence.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Stlouis, you feel that way because you are a man of taste and refinement, and the word hipster is effin annoying.

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

No, you feel that way because you RAGE!!!!

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Just a vat of hot bubblin’ Rage.

• badintent - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Rage ? I hear Charlie Manson !! Didn’t Charlie say “I want to kill all the Hollywood hipsters ? “

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Hahaha! Yeah…I saw that previously Blues. You…Philiac…Inda and Gator I believe.
      Something about horned rimmed glasses, PBR and Lone Star beer. Good stuff.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Don’t forget the delicious Austinite must-have of Tito’s “handmade” vodka.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You know that’s right! Rage on people.
        In fact, if Gator doesn’t write that book on the Feesh I am most certainly going to work myself into a full blown “vat of hot bubblin'” WillClarkRageFace type of Rage. I am talking R.A.G.E.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

LOL! That’s right. One of the funniest lines was you saying you just tell people you are from Austin.
      Although I am a Hoosier (born and bred)…even I fully understood the Austin crack.

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Ugh, if the Hoosiers get it, we may need to relocate to San Marcos or something.

• thereisaparty - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Love the super stale hipster jokes. I am often called a hipster. I accept that’s what other want label me as. But my friends and I love baseball. You’ll find a nice correlation of hipsters and stats nerds.

5. chill1184 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Eh, baseball has their fans and the NBA has theirs. However at least MLB still can trumpet it’s competitive horn. Over the years the NBA is looking like there are four or five Harlem Globetrotters and the rest of the league is a bunch of Washington Generals. I really don’t think anyone here had a Tigers-Giants world series on their plates.

• dondada10 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I gotta double check, but 7 franchise have won NBA championships in the last 28 years (’84).

6. natslady - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Tim Kurkjian said basically the same thing this morning, that baseball is doomed to lose vs. football, and also the NBA. I was surprised on the latter.

About 15 minutes into this audio. Long discussion of WS ratings and questioning why the Tigers games were played at night (in the COLD) against a major college football game and Sunday night NFL. He doesn’t go into detail about the NBA, just mentions it.

7. mrwillie - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM

If there was anything that should make Bud Selig look good, it is the NBA. Look, I live in Tobacco Road, basketball is king here. To the point where nothing happens in schools or businesses during ACC tourney time and beyond. Back when I was in high school, that’s what we did on tourney Friday, we watched basketball in class…there was no school that day. My point being, that where college basketball is king, NBA is nothing. The NBA is unable to take a ravenous basketball region and turn it into a competitive product.

Talk about killing a sport. The NBA doesn’t have a leg to stand on when criticizing the MLB. I can only speak to where I live, but baseball has 10x the support that the NBA has….and there is no Major League team in my state.

8. indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

They moved the Nets to Brooklyn and now it’s a hipster sport. I see what the NBA did there.

I actually had this argument with a friend from Cleveland a few years ago, back when the Cavs were still relevant and Lebron was still King James to them. I “won” the argument then; numbers and facts have a way of doing that. I wonder if he still feels the NBA ranks second after the NFL. It’s probably too cruel to ask.

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Almost 75 million in attendance in 2012. NBA’s last full season was 21.3 million. Is that a fair comparison? Probably not. But everyone seems to be allowed to pick and choose what they want to make their argument.

10. husky2score - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I would rather watch grass grow and the clouds move then watch basketball.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The last 2 minutes of a close basketball game is torture, with 10 minutes of time-outs, so that college graduates can be reminded they should get open to receive a pass and then try to score a basket. Despite that, I enjoyed college hoops in the 1970s when the dunk was illegal and it was forced to be a team game and not the goofy spectacle of extremely tall men showing off that they are extremely tall and thus can dunk. Raise the rim a foot and I might watch it again. The women’s game is still kind of interesting, but still the problem of too many time-outs.

11. hk62 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I wonder how many people openly ignore MLB? Because I am part of a growing (not shrinking) group of money spending sports fans that do not watch 5 minutes of the NBA per season. Seriously, I’ve had bar owners flip to off season MLB channel to get that excuse for sport of the tube – NCAA, totally different story. The shame is that I am a fan of Charles Barkley in the studio, but I never watch him – based on the subject iof Rishe’s article, I wouldn’t read it.

12. randygnyc - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I haven’t watched basketball since that savage animal choked his coach.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Little more subtle with the racism please.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“Little more subtle with the racism please.”

And this boys and girls…is a huge part of the problem.
        Like the boy who cried wolf…after a while people stop listening.

• randygnyc - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Please point out specifically what was racist in my comment. Any multi millionaire scumbag who would criminally assault a coach (or anyone else for that matter), while not in self defense, is a savage, animal in my book.

• thereisaparty - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM

“Savage” and “animal” come with serious weight when referring to non-whites (esp. those of African descent). Don’t play dumb.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Don’t waste your time Randy.
      It is far easier for some people to revert to race baiting when thinking makes their head hurt.

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

And why not? Race is the bait that lands the biggest trout.

13. savocabol1 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Take die hard fans out of it, what incentive do fans have to watch bball this year when we all know that it will be the Heat vs the Lakers?

14. fm31970 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Didn’t even read the article, but Curtis Blow? Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!

15. joecool16280 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Maybe baseball should require MLB players to wear non-prescription, thick-black-framed glasses (while being ironic) during the next WS so they can get the oh so valuable ratings from narcissistic kids who are afraid of competition and have never been a part if a team. (#iliketoshowmylackofmuscledefinitioninmyskinnyjeans)

Now skip to the MIA v LAL/OKC finals already.

• thereisaparty - Oct 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I didn’t realize wearing skinny jeans, hating competition, and loving NBA all went together

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh, he’s just the guy in the commercial whose wife won’t let him buy skinny jeans.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hipster:
        “Bobby Knight (allegedly) choked a player. How many times do you think he has been called either of those words?”

Have you ever left St. Louis? Bobby was routinely vilified in many circles as being an animal. As being a beast to deal with. Even in Indiana…there were people lined up to take shots at him.
        Of course…he is still doing quite well with the speaking engagements (and donating it to charity as well as his grandchildren’s education).

• thereisaparty - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Have I ever left St. Louis? I’m relatively new to the area. And it is the the specific terms “savage” and “animal” that have racist connotations. You will notice that those words are still used far more often in reporting on serious crimes when committed by minorities than those same crimes by whites. It is racism. Intent doesn’t change that fact.

16. joecool16280 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, I can see the appeal.

17. db105 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Watching basketball fan get excited over inconsequential score after inconsequential score is more entertaining.

18. 50milessouthofdetroit - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I haven’t checked the numbers lately, but doesn’t WWE Monday Night Raw still get higher ratings than the NBA?

19. lew24 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Kurtis Blow! Basketball is his favorite sport!

Great job Craig!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM

“If I ruled the world, was king on the throne
      I’d make peace in every culture, build the homeless a home.”

If I Ruled The World
      Kurtis Blow

• lew24 - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

If I Ruled the World…easily his best song!

20. nategearhart - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Meh. Let’s have an NBA finals of SLC vs. Milwaukee and see what THOSE ratings look like (are those two teams in the same conference though? Oh wait…don’t give a shit).

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I am so interested Nate I don’t have a clue who the hell ‘SLC’ is.
      As you said…don’t give a shit.

• nategearhart - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You know, the Jazz. Don’t they play in Salt Lake City?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Sorry Man. Yes…they do play in Salt Lake City.
      You know…
      when I saw the letters that is the first thing I thought of but they are the “Utah” Jazz so I wasn’t sure.
      Either way…our posts directly reflects just what we are trying to convey.
      Not everyone cares about the NBA. Of course…I am happy the Pacers have made it back from the dark nights of the brawl in Detroit. I just don’t care about it as much as I do MLB, College B-Ball, College F-Ball, College Baseball…or Ice Dancing.

• nategearhart - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Aah, yes. Utah. My bad.

• zabriskiept - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Give Baseball three or four consecutive years of World Series matchups of the likes of Boston Red Sox-Chicago Cubs or NY Yankees-LA Dodgers vs. an NBA Finals stint of Charlotte Bobcats-New Orleans Hornets and see who wins. It’s nothing more and nothing less than a “mirror” situation of the last seasons, when Basketball had its best draws in the mix and Baseball got some lackluster contests, at least under a TV-rating point of view.

21. Stiller43 - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“And given that there are probably no two major sports which serve more disparate demographics than do the NBA and Major League Baseball, ”

I think you meant to type “National Hockey League” where MLB is…

22. Liam - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM

My two favorite things in the world are baseball and Sonic Youth ironically covering pop songs, so obviously baseball does have some hipster feel to it.

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Also, your handle is Liam. Bonus points!

• thereisaparty - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM

What are your thoughts on YLT covering Prince?

• Liam - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I certainly enjoy Yo La Tengo covering anything. They were in a rough draft of that comment.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

“What makes you think of him as a trouble-making, gangster-type thug?”

Hmmm…maybe all the police blotter reports he has made? Maybe the issues he had in school? Maybe the people he associates with?
        As Charles Barkley routinely says…”gotta’ be smart about who you run with.”

Now “Hipster”…how smart do you look/sound? LOL!

• thereisaparty - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Please elaborate on the police blotter. I am unaware of such run-ins with the police. Was he gang-banging?

Poor performance is school does not make one a thug.

• thereisaparty - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

And Liam, if you don’t have it, you need That Skinny Motherf****er with the High Voice by Dump

23. chicitybulls - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM

People have the right to like or dislike whatever they like. However to denegrate a sport because someone “acts like a savage” is pretty dumb imo. I mean you dont like that but you’re ok with a grown man having a hissy fit and throwing a baseball at another man because someone stood there too long to watch his homerun or for whatever reason because its “tradition”. Please. That’s called assault actually. Going further it’s assault with a deadly weapon because a baseball in the hands of a professional (and make no mistake a major league pitcher is a professional) is a deadly weapon. To me, if someone can throw a ball at someone then that batter has the right to go Jose Offerman and defend himself. But I’m sure to some that would be considered “savage”. Why not call out those multi millionare scumbag players in baseball? Why are you ok with overlooking their antics but not those in the NBA? I like the NBA, MLB and NFL. You take the good with the bad in all. I can appreciate good competiton.

And to randy and st.louis, whether you admit it or not that is racist. People can see through it no matter how you try to hide it (and it wasnt a good attempt to do so). You dont have to say the n word for the implication to be there.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You don’t get it do you Bulls?
      Let me try to help:
      Everything isn’t racist.
      In fact, when people haphazardly throw the word around like they are ordering dinner from a menu it actually does a disservice to those that have been the victim of racism. (See the boy who cried wolf).
      Further, one can criticize a person of color and it NOT be racisim. It very much can be criticism.
      Again…criticism. Obviously, this point is lost on you.
      I would suggest you try to think for yourself from time to time, take a look at the world around you and consider counter points. It will make for a much stronger debate.
      One last thing to consider…
      I always thought of NBA Player Jason Williams as a trouble making gangster type thug.
      This would be the Jason Williams that is best friends with (and went to high school with)…Randy Moss. Does this make me a racist?

• historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Easy, Woodpecker. lol

• thereisaparty - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

What makes you think of him as a trouble-making, gangster-type thug? The way he plays basketball? His tattoos? Whatever the reason it doesn’t make you a racist, but it sure as hell doesn’t make you look/sound smart.

• chicitybulls - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Actually you dont seem to get it. Or maybe you do and you’re playing like you dont. Never did I state that everything is racist. One can be critical without using loaded words. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you know this. However you’re preying on the dumb people (which people of your ilk usually do) not to know better. I’m very aware of the world around me. I’ve grown up on both sides of the track and have experienced racism first hand. I doubt you have any experience with it outside of watching it on a tv or movie screen. Certain people grow up to look beyond the surface and to be aware of their surroundings. I’m a college educated man, not somebody with a GED. You will have to come better than that innocent act you’re trying to portray. And again why isn’t Nolan Ryan or any other pitcher that would throw a baseball at a batter called a savage? If you dont like savage behavior isnt that reason enough not to like baseball? Again, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt to know you know better….but maybe I shouldn’t.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I never called anyone a savage. That was Randy’s deal. I have just grown incredibly tired (loathsome in fact) of people race baiting. Which I fully believe you are doing.
      Again…when the word is thrown out indiscriminately it loses it’s weight.

“I doubt you have any experience with it outside of watching it on a tv or movie screen.”

This (above all else) illustrates how new you are to HBT. Otherwise, you would know that I was actually married to an Indian Women (1/2 Commanche & 1/2 Kiowa). I was immersed in their culture.
      I am talking dancing in pow wow’s in Oklahoma type stuff.
      You should also know that my lifelong best friend (since our bantam league football days at age 7)…is a black Man. He also knows how I feel on this particular subject. He has no problems whatsoever with it as he fully realizes (if I am nothing else)…I am genuine.
      When the word is tossed around irresponsibly it does a disservice to those that are victims of racism.
      That sums it up.

• chicitybulls - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. If you can’t see how a word like “savage” is a loaded word (like “community organizer”) then you wont ever understand. Doesn’t really matter if you have a black friend or if you have had a black person in your house. Unless you, yourself is black you wont understand my (our) perspective. Agreed sometimes race is thrown around needlessly but not in this case and not with certain words.

24. jayquintana - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

One thing both sports need to do is… speed things up! A baseball game shouldn’t last more than 3 hours, unless there’s extra innings. And the NBA teams should have 3 timeouts per half, just like the NFL. The last 30 seconds of an NBA game feels like it takes 2 hours with all the fouls and timeouts.

• db105 - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:23 AM

The only time strategy means anything in basketball is after the total score reaches about 160.

25. historiophiliac - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Seriously, we have to rank our sports too? Americans are too obsessed w/ being #1. I don’t care if baseball is #5 in popularity; I’m watching it cuz I love it and I don’t mind that some people in my family only watch during the playoffs or when we go to the park because they are at least enjoying the sport anyway. I humor their college football obsessions. Our playoffs don’t overlap, so it’s all good. Why do we have to turn our sporting interests into a pissing/popularity contest?

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

We don’t have to rank our sports. I don’t care if baseball is the most or least popular sport; that won’t stop me from loving it. However, if someone says something that is factually incorrect like Rishe did, we, the denizens of HBT, feel it is our duty to correct that wrong.

Final take away from World Series