Oct 31, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
But that apparently won’t be happening.
According to beat writer Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, the Blue Jays exercised Oliver’s $3 million club option on Wednesday. They also re-signed outfielder Rajai Davis to a one-year, $2.5 million deal after declining his $3 million option.
Oliver posted an impressive 2.06 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 52/15 K/BB ratio in 56 2/3 innings this summer for Toronto.
The 42-year-old will serve as a middle reliever again next season.
Davis, 32, batted .257/.309/.378 this year with 64 runs and 46 steals in 142 games played.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)