Oct 31, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
But that apparently won’t be happening.
According to beat writer Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, the Blue Jays exercised Oliver’s $3 million club option on Wednesday. They also re-signed outfielder Rajai Davis to a one-year, $2.5 million deal after declining his $3 million option.
Oliver posted an impressive 2.06 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 52/15 K/BB ratio in 56 2/3 innings this summer for Toronto.
The 42-year-old will serve as a middle reliever again next season.
Davis, 32, batted .257/.309/.378 this year with 64 runs and 46 steals in 142 games played.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)