Dodgers identify Rays’ James Shields as “No. 1 target”

Oct 31, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

james shields getty Getty Images

According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles the Dodgers are looking to add another veteran starting pitcher with Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly both question marks health-wise, and their “No. 1 target” is Rays right-hander James Shields.

Tampa Bay picked up Shields’ option for 2013, because at $10.25 million it’s a no-brainer, and he’s also under team control for 2014 via $12 million option.

Given their young pitching depth and payroll limitations it wouldn’t be surprising if the Rays are willing to take calls on Shields, but it would be surprising if they’re willing to deal him without getting a ton in return. During the past two seasons Shields has logged 477 innings with a 3.15 ERA and 448/123 K/BB ratio.

1. jrillah10 - Oct 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I can’t wait to read all the comments stating Shields is not that good…….. 123…. go.

2. wilkisoft - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Don’t think you’re gonna hear too much of that.

3. mt99808 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

What the hell could the Dodgers possibly have to offer? Obviously Shields wouldn’t require as much as Price but he’d still attract a good haul of prospects that I’m not sure the Dodgers have even if they emptied their system.

4. stex52 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t know if there is a boat big enough to haul the load it would take for me to give up Shields. Maybe their minor leagues are that stocked. Maybe they think some as his negotiation deadline nears in 2014. But if you give up an ace pitcher in today’s MLB you’d better have a solid gold plan for what comes next.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I would rather the Rays give up Davis or Niemann, but I’m afraid the Rays won’t get much for them. Friedman’s good, but he’s not that good. If the Rays were to give up Shields, the elder statement on that youngnptchingbrotation. The Rays would still have Price, Moore, Hellickson, Davis, Niemann, and Chris Archer. Overall, they’re a pretty formidable staff. Price is younger and t 27, I don’t think he’s peaked yet. Moore and Hellickson are even younger and have unlimited potential. I think the Rays are thinking (a) we need a bat, desperately (b) we need to rebuild the farm system since tour winning ways have deprived us of the top tier draft picks. I think the Rays might also be thinking that Shields has thrown a crazy number of pitches the last couple of years and he’s not getting younger. Sooner or later, he has to break down. Shield is an amazing pitcher, and a great presence in the Tampa Bay area. The Rays won’t give him up for nothing.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

*young pitching rotation. My keyboard went crazy on me.

5. tbbucs621 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

If they pay the salary of Andre Either I would take that and a couple of prospects.

6. tbbucs621 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Ethier I meant. Darn spell check!

7. lew24 - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

477 innings? Wow…which means that once he becomes a Dodger, he will somehow get injured!

8. nickellbag - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Time to rape the dodgers, as a rays fan still can’t believe they bailed out the red sox with crawford and becketts contract.

9. seattlej - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Huh. That’s not the rumor that I heard. I heard from my source that Colletti figured that it’d just be easier to buy the Rays and make them their second AAA affiliate. That way he wouldn’t have to worry about looking bad when Friedman would inevitably fleece him in a trade.

10. scatterbrian - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Magic: I think we need to go get James Shields from the Rays.
    Colletti: That might be easier said than done.
    Magic: You know what his nickname is, right?

11. wj4122 - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Dodgers want to build future teams with a solid farm system and international scouting presence. The big spending is to win now and not wait years for the prospects to mature. The dodgers have a handful of promising prospects…..that is if they even keep them. The gm needs to be careful!!

12. steelers88 - Nov 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Let the spending begin.

13. jlilly67 - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Dodgers can start with Dee Gordon……….Rays have a organizational black hole at SS (unless you think Hak Ju Lee is the next coming of Jeter). How’s that decision to draft Tim Beckham over Buster Posey working out for them? Whoops.

14. hermie13 - Nov 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

May need to get a 3rd team involved as really dont see a great fit with the Dogers and Rays. A team like Texas with Andrus to deal seems like a better trade fit for the Rays…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win