Oct 31, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
It’s the offseason and free agents can’t even sign yet, so what better time to start some good old fashioned shootin’-the-poop over almost certainly not going to happen roster moves?
Pursuing A-Rod makes sense for the Phillies, who have a glaring hole at third base. There just aren’t many impact names set for free agency at the position … A-Rod is not the player he was in his 13-year peak, when he hit .308 with averages of 42 homers and 122 RBI per season. He’s not even the player he was in 2009 and 2010, when he had an .888 OPS and 30 homers each year. But he’s still a vast upgrade over what the Phillies have. Phillies third basemen hit .272 with five home runs and 42 RBI in 162 games this past season.
But no, I don’t think it will happen. I doubt most of the folks opining on it at CSNPhilly.com think it will either. But it’s the offseason. Think of this as a bar and have fun with it!
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)