Oct 31, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
It’s the offseason and free agents can’t even sign yet, so what better time to start some good old fashioned shootin’-the-poop over almost certainly not going to happen roster moves?
Pursuing A-Rod makes sense for the Phillies, who have a glaring hole at third base. There just aren’t many impact names set for free agency at the position … A-Rod is not the player he was in his 13-year peak, when he hit .308 with averages of 42 homers and 122 RBI per season. He’s not even the player he was in 2009 and 2010, when he had an .888 OPS and 30 homers each year. But he’s still a vast upgrade over what the Phillies have. Phillies third basemen hit .272 with five home runs and 42 RBI in 162 games this past season.
But no, I don’t think it will happen. I doubt most of the folks opining on it at CSNPhilly.com think it will either. But it’s the offseason. Think of this as a bar and have fun with it!
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (202)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)