Oct 31, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
It’s the offseason and free agents can’t even sign yet, so what better time to start some good old fashioned shootin’-the-poop over almost certainly not going to happen roster moves?
Pursuing A-Rod makes sense for the Phillies, who have a glaring hole at third base. There just aren’t many impact names set for free agency at the position … A-Rod is not the player he was in his 13-year peak, when he hit .308 with averages of 42 homers and 122 RBI per season. He’s not even the player he was in 2009 and 2010, when he had an .888 OPS and 30 homers each year. But he’s still a vast upgrade over what the Phillies have. Phillies third basemen hit .272 with five home runs and 42 RBI in 162 games this past season.
But no, I don’t think it will happen. I doubt most of the folks opining on it at CSNPhilly.com think it will either. But it’s the offseason. Think of this as a bar and have fun with it!
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte