Oct 31, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Jon Heyman is a braver man than I am. He’s digging into what has to be a fairly miserable conversation: a dispute between Yankees President Randy Levine and Super Agent Scott Boras about money.
Don’t you wish you were on the line for that kind of thing between those kinds of guys?
The upshot: Levine says that Boras is asking for $60 million over four years for Rafael Soriano. Boras says he never talked about four years, though the implication is — and logic suggests that — $15 million is about what Soriano wants. Levine has a nice “good luck getting that kind of money” quote in the article.
When it comes to the he-said, he-said, however, you probably gonna side with Boras. When he goes crazy it’s a calculated thing, like when he says that Oliver Perez is Sandy Koufax. He strikes me, however, like the sort of guy who makes an extremely lawyerly point of knowing who said what, and in exactly what way, when. Levine, on the other hand, strikes me as the kind of guy who, when he is delayed in traffic for ten minutes, says “the freeway was backed up 20 miles! I had to wait five hours! Jeez!”
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (111)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)