Oct 31, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman is a braver man than I am. He’s digging into what has to be a fairly miserable conversation: a dispute between Yankees President Randy Levine and Super Agent Scott Boras about money.
Don’t you wish you were on the line for that kind of thing between those kinds of guys?
The upshot: Levine says that Boras is asking for $60 million over four years for Rafael Soriano. Boras says he never talked about four years, though the implication is — and logic suggests that — $15 million is about what Soriano wants. Levine has a nice “good luck getting that kind of money” quote in the article.
When it comes to the he-said, he-said, however, you probably gonna side with Boras. When he goes crazy it’s a calculated thing, like when he says that Oliver Perez is Sandy Koufax. He strikes me, however, like the sort of guy who makes an extremely lawyerly point of knowing who said what, and in exactly what way, when. Levine, on the other hand, strikes me as the kind of guy who, when he is delayed in traffic for ten minutes, says “the freeway was backed up 20 miles! I had to wait five hours! Jeez!”
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)