Oct 31, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman is a braver man than I am. He’s digging into what has to be a fairly miserable conversation: a dispute between Yankees President Randy Levine and Super Agent Scott Boras about money.
Don’t you wish you were on the line for that kind of thing between those kinds of guys?
The upshot: Levine says that Boras is asking for $60 million over four years for Rafael Soriano. Boras says he never talked about four years, though the implication is — and logic suggests that — $15 million is about what Soriano wants. Levine has a nice “good luck getting that kind of money” quote in the article.
When it comes to the he-said, he-said, however, you probably gonna side with Boras. When he goes crazy it’s a calculated thing, like when he says that Oliver Perez is Sandy Koufax. He strikes me, however, like the sort of guy who makes an extremely lawyerly point of knowing who said what, and in exactly what way, when. Levine, on the other hand, strikes me as the kind of guy who, when he is delayed in traffic for ten minutes, says “the freeway was backed up 20 miles! I had to wait five hours! Jeez!”
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)