Randy Levine and Scott Boras disagree about the Rafael Soriano negotiations

Oct 31, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Randy Levine

Jon Heyman is a braver man than I am. He’s digging into what has to be a fairly miserable conversation: a dispute between Yankees President Randy Levine and Super Agent Scott Boras about money.

Don’t you wish you were on the line for that kind of thing between those kinds of guys?

The upshot: Levine says that Boras is asking for $60 million over four years for Rafael Soriano. Boras says he never talked about four years, though the implication is — and logic suggests that — $15 million is about what Soriano wants. Levine has a nice “good luck getting that kind of money” quote in the article.

When it comes to the he-said, he-said, however, you probably gonna side with Boras. When he goes crazy it’s a calculated thing, like when he says that Oliver Perez is Sandy Koufax. He strikes me, however, like the sort of guy who makes an extremely lawyerly point of knowing who said what, and in exactly what way, when.  Levine, on the other hand, strikes me as the kind of guy who, when he is delayed in traffic for ten minutes, says “the freeway was backed up 20 miles! I had to wait five hours! Jeez!”

1. lazlosother - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Hank has decided to handle this personally……

2. cdeangelus - Oct 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Man I first parsed this as Levine and Boras talking about *Alfonso* Soriano and had WFAN’s first 6 digits dialed in on my phone before I realized it was something a little more sane.

3. cackalackyank - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Like I said, MLB 2013- The Quest for More Money, Starring Scott Boras

4. nategearhart - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM

But Scott Boras is killing the game! That’s why I only root for sports when poor people are playing them.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Hockey?

5. mazblast - Oct 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Boras may know exactly who said what and when–but also in “lawyerly” fashion, he ignores it when the cameras and microphones are on.

If I have to pick one to believe in this nontroversy, I take–neither.

6. pisano - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Good luck Boras, the Yankees paid too much for him in the first place, so they’ll certainly not resign him for any more. It was nice Soriano, hope you enjoy your new team.

7. tgthree - Oct 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Jon Heyman is a braver man than most of us. Would YOU fight Pat Burrell in a Detroit bar?

8. Gordon - Oct 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Why is the GM not handling negotiations?

9. bleedgreen - Oct 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM

if you replace the names Levine and Soriano with Amaro and Madsen then you already know how this will turn out.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS