Oct 31, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
This week the Angels have reportedly been shopping Ervin Santana and Dan Haren as they face big-money option decisions on both pitchers and according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com they’ve found a taker for Santana in the Royals.
No word yet on the return coming back to the Angels, but don’t expect it to be much. Santana’s option is for $13 million and he was pretty terrible for much of this year, finishing with a 5.16 ERA in 30 starts. And simply by trading Santana instead of declining his option the Angels saved a $1 million buyout.
Within his overall inconsistency Santana has often shown the ability to be a front-line starter, but he’s always struggled to limit homers and at this point he’s a 30-year-old with a 4.33 career ERA. For a one-year pickup he’s a decent gamble for the pitching-starved Royals, even if the price is a bit much.
UPDATE: Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Angels will receive left-hander Brandon Sisk, a 27-year-old Triple-A reliever. In other words, a non-prospect.
UPDATE II: According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels exercised Santana’s $13 million option before the trade and will cover $1 million of it. So the Royals will pay him $12 million.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)