Ryan Madson declines $11M mutual option for 2013

Oct 31, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT

ryan madson getty Getty Images

The Reds wouldn’t have picked it up anyway, so right-hander Ryan Madson beat the team to the punch on Wednesday night and declined his half of an $11 million mutual option for the 2013 season.

This according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

Madson gets a hefty $2.5 million buyout and will officially become a free agent this Saturday.

The 32-year-old missed the entire 2012 season following Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, but he began throwing recently and is hoping to be completely recovered by the start of spring training.

Madson registered a 2.37 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 62/16 K/BB ratio across 60 2/3 innings for the Phillies in 2011 while converting 32-of-34 save chances. He boasts a 2.89 ERA in 329-plus innings since the start of 2007.

The Reds have interest in re-signing him, though they probably won’t offer him the opportunity to close.

1. number42is1 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM

FIRED???? you can’t fire me. I QUIT!

2. thesmedman - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Back to the Phillies we go!

3. metalhead65 - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

so he made 11 million dollars not to pitch for the reds this year. and the lesson here is parents bring you kids up to be a baseball player and a pitcher if at all possible. where else can you make that kind of money for doing nothing?

• scotttheskeptic - Nov 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Government

• chew1985 - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

You forgot to mention the bonus for lefthanders on top of all of that.

But seriously, in our capitalistic system, if someone is willing to pay it, you’d be a fool, were you in Madson’s shoes, not to accept it.

4. wj4122 - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I wish there was an injury clause in player contracts. Any player that is not capable of playing for large chunks of time should be paid league minimum. I know that probably sounds like balderdash but some of the lower market teams can get handicapped by giving a player 10 million a year to sit on the bench

• redbirdfan81 - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:31 AM

I’m sure there are very expensive disability policies that the teams buy that end up paying a big chunk of these salaries. Can anybody confirm/deny this?

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM

What’s the motivation behind wishing this? Are you an owner?

The fact that Madson made a cool $2.5 million for not signing on for another year shows that the baseball player’s union is indeed strong.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

“I wish game tickets were affordable again, and that parking won’t cost me a twenty dollar bill.”

You think Madson making a cool 2.5 million for doing jack squat his helping in this regard Sandy?
        It very much goes both ways.

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

On the contrary, Lou. I don’t think the contract has any bearing on the cost to fans. We’re way past that. I was more making a comment about OP’s priorities in terms of getting mad that Madson got paid what he did. The ship on fan’s cost had left port a long time ago.

• stex52 - Nov 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You know, it’s a freely negotiated contract between the player and the team. If the team wants an injury clause, they can put it right in. The trick is going to be getting the player to agree to it. That’s not going to happen. He will just go to another team that doesn’t have an injury clause in their contract.

5. lroc20 - Nov 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Come back home mad dog. The Phils miss your enthusiasm n humor in the clubhouse, plus that sweet change up

6. illadelphiasphinest - Nov 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Joria in the 7th, Madson in the 8th, Paps in the 9th. Good bye!!
    Potential for greatness or disaster (due to 2 of the 3 comin off Tommy John)

• chew1985 - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:08 AM

One of them better be able to drive in a few runs each game.

7. jsgrillo31 - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Madison back to the phillies will make that bullpen 100% better then this past season. Make it happen Ruben

8. jm91rs - Nov 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think it would be classy for him to give the reds a one or two year fair money contract. He took a lot of money from them for absolutely no return, it would be nice for him to give them a chance see what they were paying for.

Of course I understand that’s not how baseball works and it’s all about the next pay day for most players (can’t blame them), so I wouldn’t consider it classless to jump to another team or back to Philly (but wasn’t he pretty mad about the way they just stopped negotiating with him and grabbed up papplebon?).

It would just be refreshing to hear someone say “they paid me a lot of money and both sides were disappointed with how it turned out. I wanted to be a part of the team, so here I am, hopefully we can go farther this year than last”

I heard he did stick around cincinnati for rehabbing etc, so hopefully he liked the team.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3036)