Oct 31, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
We heard about the Angels’ efforts to unload Dan Haren and/or Ervin Santana before the team is required to exercise their 2013 options this week, but the heat on that was tepid at best. There was talk of the desire to trade them, but no real sense if anything could get done.
Be prepared for the Angels to make at least one trade this week. At this point, it will be an upset if they do not. The team, according to major league sources, is aggressively trying to move right-handers Dan Haren andErvin Santana before deciding on their respective — and expensive — club options for 2013.
Santana’s season was close to nightmarish. Haren was best by back trouble. Haren’s option is worth $15.5 million and includes a $3.5 million buyout, and he has no-trade protection for 12 teams. Santana’s option is worth $13 million and carries a $1 million buyout.
Whether these two move in the next couple of days — and what the Angels reap in return — could be an early signal as to how desperate teams are for pitching right now and just how stinkin’ rich free agents like Zack Greinke and Edwin Jackson are poised to become this winter.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)