Oct 31, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
We heard about the Angels’ efforts to unload Dan Haren and/or Ervin Santana before the team is required to exercise their 2013 options this week, but the heat on that was tepid at best. There was talk of the desire to trade them, but no real sense if anything could get done.
Be prepared for the Angels to make at least one trade this week. At this point, it will be an upset if they do not. The team, according to major league sources, is aggressively trying to move right-handers Dan Haren andErvin Santana before deciding on their respective — and expensive — club options for 2013.
Santana’s season was close to nightmarish. Haren was best by back trouble. Haren’s option is worth $15.5 million and includes a $3.5 million buyout, and he has no-trade protection for 12 teams. Santana’s option is worth $13 million and carries a $1 million buyout.
Whether these two move in the next couple of days — and what the Angels reap in return — could be an early signal as to how desperate teams are for pitching right now and just how stinkin’ rich free agents like Zack Greinke and Edwin Jackson are poised to become this winter.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)