Oct 31, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The headline, she speaks for itself. These moves were not unexpected.
Hafner signed a big contract extension in 2007 at almost the exact moment that he ceased to be a healthy, reliable and productive player. Well, saying he was not productive is unfair, for he still presented a threat to go deep when he was healthy. It’s just that he was never, ever healthy. His option for 2013 was a whopping $13 million, so it was never gonna happen. Someone may take a flier on him next spring, but the market for broken designated hitters is not a strong one.
Hernandez’s club option was for $12 million. He pitched three whole ineffective games for the Indians after getting his Fausto Carmona identity theft problems straightened out. He was last useful in 2010 and never came close to fulfilling the promise he held back in 2007 when he went 19-8.
Jimenez likewise pitched poorly in 2012, but his option was a modest $5.75 million and that seems a reasonable risk given Jimenez’s potential. If he can’t get it done in 2013, however, it could be the end of the road for him in Cleveland. He has an $8 million 2014 option.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)