Oct 31, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The headline, she speaks for itself. These moves were not unexpected.
Hafner signed a big contract extension in 2007 at almost the exact moment that he ceased to be a healthy, reliable and productive player. Well, saying he was not productive is unfair, for he still presented a threat to go deep when he was healthy. It’s just that he was never, ever healthy. His option for 2013 was a whopping $13 million, so it was never gonna happen. Someone may take a flier on him next spring, but the market for broken designated hitters is not a strong one.
Hernandez’s club option was for $12 million. He pitched three whole ineffective games for the Indians after getting his Fausto Carmona identity theft problems straightened out. He was last useful in 2010 and never came close to fulfilling the promise he held back in 2007 when he went 19-8.
Jimenez likewise pitched poorly in 2012, but his option was a modest $5.75 million and that seems a reasonable risk given Jimenez’s potential. If he can’t get it done in 2013, however, it could be the end of the road for him in Cleveland. He has an $8 million 2014 option.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)