Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This isn’t the Red Sox 2011 search for a Terry Francona replacement — that was quite the drawn-out saga — but the Rockies are taking their time finding a replacement for Jim Tracy. They’ve interviewed six guys, but Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the field is not likely to grow any more.
The six: Jason Giambi, Walt Weiss, Jerry Manuel, Pete Mackanin, Matt Williams and current bench coach Tom Runnells.
Kind of an interesting slate. Giambi and Weiss have no managing or big league coaching experience. Manuel has been out of the game for a couple of years and no one, when he was fired after the 2010 season, thought he’d be back managing, did they? Mackanin was a candidate for the Boston last year but his manager-in-waiting status seemed to take a hit when the Phillies opted not to renew his contract. Given that Tracy was canned, and it was more a team direction thing than it was because he was some singularly flaming idiot or anything, one wonders why his bench coach would be a candidate.
Of course, what goes in Denver has never been the clearest thing in the world. In some ways they’ve always given off an Eastern Bloc vibe. Things happen there and we have to spend some time afterward trying to decide how that happened and what it all means.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)