Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This isn’t the Red Sox 2011 search for a Terry Francona replacement — that was quite the drawn-out saga — but the Rockies are taking their time finding a replacement for Jim Tracy. They’ve interviewed six guys, but Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the field is not likely to grow any more.
The six: Jason Giambi, Walt Weiss, Jerry Manuel, Pete Mackanin, Matt Williams and current bench coach Tom Runnells.
Kind of an interesting slate. Giambi and Weiss have no managing or big league coaching experience. Manuel has been out of the game for a couple of years and no one, when he was fired after the 2010 season, thought he’d be back managing, did they? Mackanin was a candidate for the Boston last year but his manager-in-waiting status seemed to take a hit when the Phillies opted not to renew his contract. Given that Tracy was canned, and it was more a team direction thing than it was because he was some singularly flaming idiot or anything, one wonders why his bench coach would be a candidate.
Of course, what goes in Denver has never been the clearest thing in the world. In some ways they’ve always given off an Eastern Bloc vibe. Things happen there and we have to spend some time afterward trying to decide how that happened and what it all means.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 0
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 22
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 36
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL