Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This isn’t the Red Sox 2011 search for a Terry Francona replacement — that was quite the drawn-out saga — but the Rockies are taking their time finding a replacement for Jim Tracy. They’ve interviewed six guys, but Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the field is not likely to grow any more.
The six: Jason Giambi, Walt Weiss, Jerry Manuel, Pete Mackanin, Matt Williams and current bench coach Tom Runnells.
Kind of an interesting slate. Giambi and Weiss have no managing or big league coaching experience. Manuel has been out of the game for a couple of years and no one, when he was fired after the 2010 season, thought he’d be back managing, did they? Mackanin was a candidate for the Boston last year but his manager-in-waiting status seemed to take a hit when the Phillies opted not to renew his contract. Given that Tracy was canned, and it was more a team direction thing than it was because he was some singularly flaming idiot or anything, one wonders why his bench coach would be a candidate.
Of course, what goes in Denver has never been the clearest thing in the world. In some ways they’ve always given off an Eastern Bloc vibe. Things happen there and we have to spend some time afterward trying to decide how that happened and what it all means.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)