Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
This isn’t the Red Sox 2011 search for a Terry Francona replacement — that was quite the drawn-out saga — but the Rockies are taking their time finding a replacement for Jim Tracy. They’ve interviewed six guys, but Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the field is not likely to grow any more.
The six: Jason Giambi, Walt Weiss, Jerry Manuel, Pete Mackanin, Matt Williams and current bench coach Tom Runnells.
Kind of an interesting slate. Giambi and Weiss have no managing or big league coaching experience. Manuel has been out of the game for a couple of years and no one, when he was fired after the 2010 season, thought he’d be back managing, did they? Mackanin was a candidate for the Boston last year but his manager-in-waiting status seemed to take a hit when the Phillies opted not to renew his contract. Given that Tracy was canned, and it was more a team direction thing than it was because he was some singularly flaming idiot or anything, one wonders why his bench coach would be a candidate.
Of course, what goes in Denver has never been the clearest thing in the world. In some ways they’ve always given off an Eastern Bloc vibe. Things happen there and we have to spend some time afterward trying to decide how that happened and what it all means.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)