Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This isn’t the Red Sox 2011 search for a Terry Francona replacement — that was quite the drawn-out saga — but the Rockies are taking their time finding a replacement for Jim Tracy. They’ve interviewed six guys, but Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post says the field is not likely to grow any more.
The six: Jason Giambi, Walt Weiss, Jerry Manuel, Pete Mackanin, Matt Williams and current bench coach Tom Runnells.
Kind of an interesting slate. Giambi and Weiss have no managing or big league coaching experience. Manuel has been out of the game for a couple of years and no one, when he was fired after the 2010 season, thought he’d be back managing, did they? Mackanin was a candidate for the Boston last year but his manager-in-waiting status seemed to take a hit when the Phillies opted not to renew his contract. Given that Tracy was canned, and it was more a team direction thing than it was because he was some singularly flaming idiot or anything, one wonders why his bench coach would be a candidate.
Of course, what goes in Denver has never been the clearest thing in the world. In some ways they’ve always given off an Eastern Bloc vibe. Things happen there and we have to spend some time afterward trying to decide how that happened and what it all means.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 5
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)