Nov 1, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Just in case there was any doubt that Nyjer Morgan‘s tenure in Milwaukee was coming to an end, the Brewers announced today that they have outrighted the outspoken outfielder to Triple-A Nashville. The moves clears him from the 40-man roster and sets the stage for him to become a free agent.
After playing a key part in the Brewers’ NL Central title in 2011, Morgan batted just .239/.302/.308 with three home runs, 16 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .610 OPS in 122 games this season. The 32-year-old earned $2.35 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter, so he was already an obvious non-tender candidate. According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said today that the club has no intention to attempt to work out a new deal with Morgan.
In other Brewers news, Jose Veras elected to become a free agent today after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Nashville. The 32-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Pirates last December for Casey McGehee and posted a 3.63 ERA and 79/40 K/BB ratio over 67 innings this season.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)