Nov 1, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Just in case there was any doubt that Nyjer Morgan‘s tenure in Milwaukee was coming to an end, the Brewers announced today that they have outrighted the outspoken outfielder to Triple-A Nashville. The moves clears him from the 40-man roster and sets the stage for him to become a free agent.
After playing a key part in the Brewers’ NL Central title in 2011, Morgan batted just .239/.302/.308 with three home runs, 16 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .610 OPS in 122 games this season. The 32-year-old earned $2.35 million in 2012 and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter, so he was already an obvious non-tender candidate. According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said today that the club has no intention to attempt to work out a new deal with Morgan.
In other Brewers news, Jose Veras elected to become a free agent today after refusing an assignment to Triple-A Nashville. The 32-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Pirates last December for Casey McGehee and posted a 3.63 ERA and 79/40 K/BB ratio over 67 innings this season.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)