Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.
One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:
I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.
Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)