Dan Haren expects the Angels to trade him

Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT

Dan Haren

Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.

One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:

I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.

Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.

1. mattyflex - Nov 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I really wanted to see him in Kansas City, as opposed to Ervin Santana. But, there are a lot of people I want to see in Kansas City, and they have yet to put any value my input.

2. cosanostra71 - Nov 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

hope we find a way to keep him

3. geoknows - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Considering his contract includes a limited no-trade clause which allows him to reject trades to 12 teams, he certainly has some say in where he goes.

4. sigep316 - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Would like to see him come back to Stl

5. watermelon1 - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Orioles supposedly have some prospects. And while it wasn’t their pitching that let them down in the playoffs… they’d sure look better going into next season with a guy like Haren to lead their young arms!

And they might have improved enough to where a no-trade veteran might not immediately say no to the idea of playing at Camden Yards.

6. bjbeliever - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Call Toronto, we want you

7. leshon42 - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Brewers on line 2…

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline