Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.
One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:
I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.
Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)