Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.
One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:
I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.
Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)