Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EST
Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.
One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:
I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.
Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)