Nov 1, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
Yesterday the Angels traded Ervin Santana to the Royals, getting out from under his $13 million option for 2013, and there’s been tons of speculation that they’re looking to do the same thing with Dan Haren and his $15.5 million option or $3.5 million buyout.
One way or another the Angels must exercise or decline Haren’s option by tomorrow, although they could exercise it and then continue to work on trading him. For his part, Haren told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that he expects to be dealt:
I have had just a bit of dialogue with the Angels about my situation, but I’m kind of getting the feeling that I’ll be traded,. I have no specifics on teams, but that’s the vibe I’m getting. It’s a little bit disappointing that I won’t get to pick where I want to go, but I’m the one who signed on for the option year.
Haren also stressed that he was hoping to stay with the Angels for 2013, but general manager Jerry Dipoto is focusing on re-signing Zack Greinke following a season in which Haren struggled with back problems while posting a 4.33 ERA.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)