Nov 1, 2012, 10:02 PM EST
WGN continues to search for a new broadcasting partner for Len Kasper after Bob Brenly left the Cubs’ booth to join the Diamondbacks’ broadcast team last month.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, MLB Network’s Dan Plesac is expected to interview for the gig next week. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported last week that Plesac recently signed a five-year extension with MLB Network and didn’t consider himself a candidate, so this news comes a bit of a surprise, but he has apparently had a change of heart about the possibility.
Plesac has been with MLB Network since the network first launched in January of 2009, but previously hosted Cubs pre-game and post-game shows with Comcast SportsNet Chicago from 2005-2008. The three-time All-Star also pitched with the Cubs from 1993-1994.
Plesac isn’t the only ex-Cub under consideration for the job, as former Eric Karros is also expected to interview. Rick Sutcliffe, Todd Hollandsworth and Doug Glanville have all been mentioned as possibilities, though it’s not clear whether they are serious candidates to join Kasper in the booth.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (90)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)