Nov 1, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
WGN continues to search for a new broadcasting partner for Len Kasper after Bob Brenly left the Cubs’ booth to join the Diamondbacks’ broadcast team last month.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, MLB Network’s Dan Plesac is expected to interview for the gig next week. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported last week that Plesac recently signed a five-year extension with MLB Network and didn’t consider himself a candidate, so this news comes a bit of a surprise, but he has apparently had a change of heart about the possibility.
Plesac has been with MLB Network since the network first launched in January of 2009, but previously hosted Cubs pre-game and post-game shows with Comcast SportsNet Chicago from 2005-2008. The three-time All-Star also pitched with the Cubs from 1993-1994.
Plesac isn’t the only ex-Cub under consideration for the job, as former Eric Karros is also expected to interview. Rick Sutcliffe, Todd Hollandsworth and Doug Glanville have all been mentioned as possibilities, though it’s not clear whether they are serious candidates to join Kasper in the booth.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)