Dan Plesac to interview for job in Cubs’ broadcast booth

Nov 1, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT

Dan Plesac

WGN continues to search for a new broadcasting partner for Len Kasper after Bob Brenly left the Cubs’ booth to join the Diamondbacks’ broadcast team last month.

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, MLB Network’s Dan Plesac is expected to interview for the gig next week. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported last week that Plesac recently signed a five-year extension with MLB Network and didn’t consider himself a candidate, so this news comes a bit of a surprise, but he has apparently had a change of heart about the possibility.

Plesac has been with MLB Network since the network first launched in January of 2009, but previously hosted Cubs pre-game and post-game shows with Comcast SportsNet Chicago from 2005-2008. The three-time All-Star also pitched with the Cubs from 1993-1994.

Plesac isn’t the only ex-Cub under consideration for the job, as former Eric Karros is also expected to interview. Rick Sutcliffe, Todd Hollandsworth and Doug Glanville have all been mentioned as possibilities, though it’s not clear whether they are serious candidates to join Kasper in the booth.

1. boyofzimmer - Nov 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Plesac would make an excellent addition to the Cubbies booth. I would look forward to hearing Len and Dan. Great analyst on MLB and on Cubs pre/post game before that. Brings knowledge, honesty and enthusiasm Cubs fans would demand. Make this happen WGN/Ricketts!

2. natslady - Nov 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Dan Plesac on MLB today said that he and his colleagues underestimated the National League. The athleticism, pitching and defense nullified the AL hitting.

3. butchhuskey - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Plesac is the funniest guy on the MLB Network

4. xmatt0926x - Nov 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I like Plesac on MLB Tonight. Lot’s of positive energy and very personable. He is one of several MLB Tonight personalities that make ESPN’s Baseball Tonight seem like a yawn in comparison.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I’m not sure how the money situation is between the jobs but I think I’d prefer the studio job over the constant travel of a tv broadcaster. Either gig is better than a normal 9-5 though. I also enjoy Plesac on MLB though. He’ll be good either way.

• niubears - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

He’s from the Chicago area, so that probably has a large part to do with him being interested in it now

6. sabatimus - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Plesac is better than Mitch Williams. But that isn’t saying anything at all.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I love Plesac on MLB. But I also like Harold Reynolds AND Mitch Williams.
      Specifically…I like Williams’ no-nonsense approach.
      He calls it like he see’s it (regardless of how crazy it is).
      Further, he is very much aware of his aw shucks persona.
      The dude fully realize he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and isn’t afraid to admit it.
      He obviously doesnt’ take himself to seriously.
      For me…I have always had an affinity for people who routinely use self deprecating humor.

7. cadillacjosh - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 AM

As a Brewer fan, that totally sucks. But Dan is an awesome guy and I hope the best for him.

8. heathater4lifeson - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Who in their right mind would want to watch, and describe, the cubs baseball 162 times a year?

9. charlescub80 - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Anyone but haters. Which you are in your own club. It’s just so easy to be a hater isn’t it?

10. Alex K - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I hope it’s not Sutcliffe. He’s awful. I don’t even think the great Len Kasper could make him passable.

11. willclarkgameface - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Plesac is kind of annoying on MLB Network, but Cubs fans are also kind of annoying so this should be a perfect fit.

12. hotrod0808 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I think anyone is better than Bob Brenly. I never liked that guy for several reasons.

• Alex K - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Bob is fantastic. He’s one of the top 3-5 color guys on TV.

Three legends off to Cooperstown