Don Zimmer is coming back for a 65th season

Nov 1, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Don Zimmer, Evan Longoria

Don Zimmer will spend a 65th season in baseball, as the Rays announced that the 82-year-old will continue his role as senior baseball advisor after being away from the team for a while this season due to health problems.

Next year will be his 10th season with the Rays, which matches the length of time Zimmer spent with the Yankees.

Zimmer released a statement saying that he “couldn’t be happy” and B.J. Upton, now a free agent a decade after being drafted by the Rays, is glad to see Zimmer returning to Tampa Bay even if Upton is headed elsewhere:

1. indaburg - Nov 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think my Zim Bear just smiled at me. Glad to hear he is coming back.

• The Rabbit - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

You have a Zim Bear? I’m jealous.
      I would keep that thing away from the kids, though. It looks eerily like one of those clown dolls that moves when you aren’t watching.

• indaburg - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Yes, I have one. It is not permitted to sleep in my bedroom because it does look like one of those clown dolls. How can something be so creepy and awesome at the same time?

• dcfan4life - Nov 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Did anyone think Zimmer would be in baseball this long? I mean Pedro Martinez is even in awe here…

2. ptfu - Nov 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Whoa there. What Zim actually said was “I couldn’t be happier.” It would be pretty odd to say “I couldn’t be happy” after announcing season #65 was a go.

Also, great news for the Rays and Zim. Baseball wouldn’t be the same without him.

3. bouwel92 - Nov 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

65 years. Wow that is a true love of the game to stick around that long. Hopefully he can stay healthy for the year, and have many more seasons.

• raysfan1 - Nov 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

^^^What he said

4. proudliberal85392 - Nov 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Great news!

5. bigleagues - Nov 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If someone told me 30 years ago that Don Zimmer would have been around for his 82nd birthday and his 65th year in baseball I would have simply gazed at them in disbelief.

6. mqcarpenter - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Love. Love. Love. Way to go Zim

7. stublues33 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Congrats to Zim. Remember him with Wash Senators, playing for his former teammate Gil Hodges. Went to Fla. Instruction League to learn to play catcher as 33 year old, 10 year vet. Picked up 30+ games behind the plate in ’65.

8. stlouis1baseball - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Congratulations to Don Zimmer! Glad he is gonna be around the game for at least another year.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB