Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Redmond was considered the frontrunner to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami during the entire interview process and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have hired the former catcher to be their next manager.
Redmond came up through the Marlins’ farm system and played for them from 1998-2004 before signing with the Twins as a free agent. He finished his 13-year career with the Indians in 2010 and spent this season as the manager for high Single-A Dunedin in the Blue Jays’ system.
As a player Redmond was constantly talked about as a future manager, combining an old-school attitude on the field with a strong sense of humor off it. He’s famous for “naked batting practice” and, just generally speaking, removing his clothing in the name of comedy.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 41-year-old Redmond will get a three-year contract. Of course, Guillen was just fired after one season of a four-year, $10 million contract.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)