Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Redmond was considered the frontrunner to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami during the entire interview process and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have hired the former catcher to be their next manager.
Redmond came up through the Marlins’ farm system and played for them from 1998-2004 before signing with the Twins as a free agent. He finished his 13-year career with the Indians in 2010 and spent this season as the manager for high Single-A Dunedin in the Blue Jays’ system.
As a player Redmond was constantly talked about as a future manager, combining an old-school attitude on the field with a strong sense of humor off it. He’s famous for “naked batting practice” and, just generally speaking, removing his clothing in the name of comedy.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 41-year-old Redmond will get a three-year contract. Of course, Guillen was just fired after one season of a four-year, $10 million contract.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)