Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Redmond was considered the frontrunner to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami during the entire interview process and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have hired the former catcher to be their next manager.
Redmond came up through the Marlins’ farm system and played for them from 1998-2004 before signing with the Twins as a free agent. He finished his 13-year career with the Indians in 2010 and spent this season as the manager for high Single-A Dunedin in the Blue Jays’ system.
As a player Redmond was constantly talked about as a future manager, combining an old-school attitude on the field with a strong sense of humor off it. He’s famous for “naked batting practice” and, just generally speaking, removing his clothing in the name of comedy.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 41-year-old Redmond will get a three-year contract. Of course, Guillen was just fired after one season of a four-year, $10 million contract.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)