Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
Mike Redmond was considered the frontrunner to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami during the entire interview process and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have hired the former catcher to be their next manager.
Redmond came up through the Marlins’ farm system and played for them from 1998-2004 before signing with the Twins as a free agent. He finished his 13-year career with the Indians in 2010 and spent this season as the manager for high Single-A Dunedin in the Blue Jays’ system.
As a player Redmond was constantly talked about as a future manager, combining an old-school attitude on the field with a strong sense of humor off it. He’s famous for “naked batting practice” and, just generally speaking, removing his clothing in the name of comedy.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 41-year-old Redmond will get a three-year contract. Of course, Guillen was just fired after one season of a four-year, $10 million contract.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)