Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Redmond was considered the frontrunner to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami during the entire interview process and sure enough Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have hired the former catcher to be their next manager.
Redmond came up through the Marlins’ farm system and played for them from 1998-2004 before signing with the Twins as a free agent. He finished his 13-year career with the Indians in 2010 and spent this season as the manager for high Single-A Dunedin in the Blue Jays’ system.
As a player Redmond was constantly talked about as a future manager, combining an old-school attitude on the field with a strong sense of humor off it. He’s famous for “naked batting practice” and, just generally speaking, removing his clothing in the name of comedy.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 41-year-old Redmond will get a three-year contract. Of course, Guillen was just fired after one season of a four-year, $10 million contract.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 1
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 38
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 79
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 65
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)