Nov 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Alexi Ogando has moved back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation for Texas during the past two seasons, making 30 starts and 59 relief appearances while thriving in both roles, and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers “are determined” to use him as a starter in 2013.
Ogando has a 3.49 ERA as a starter and a 2.53 ERA as a reliever, and with both Colby Lewis and Neftali Feliz out following arm surgeries the Rangers’ have a bigger need in the rotation even if they sign a prominent free agent starter. Their own free agent starters, Ryan Dempster, Roy Oswalt, and Scott Feldman, aren’t expected back in Texas.
Ogando has previously said he’d prefer to start and made the All-Star team as a starter in 2011.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)