Nov 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Alexi Ogando has moved back and forth from the bullpen to the rotation for Texas during the past two seasons, making 30 starts and 59 relief appearances while thriving in both roles, and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers “are determined” to use him as a starter in 2013.
Ogando has a 3.49 ERA as a starter and a 2.53 ERA as a reliever, and with both Colby Lewis and Neftali Feliz out following arm surgeries the Rangers’ have a bigger need in the rotation even if they sign a prominent free agent starter. Their own free agent starters, Ryan Dempster, Roy Oswalt, and Scott Feldman, aren’t expected back in Texas.
Ogando has previously said he’d prefer to start and made the All-Star team as a starter in 2011.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)