Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Via the Sports Agent Blog we learn that journeyman reliever Roman Colon is suing his former agents, the Hendricks Brothers, alleging that they did not tell him about an offer which would have allowed him to continue pitching in Korea following the 2010 season.
Colon — whose Baseball-reference.com page refers to as “Roman” but who is identified as “Ramon Colon” in the complaint in this case — pitched for the KIA Tigers in Korea in 2010 and did a pretty decent job. He alleges that following the 2010 season KIA made him a contract offer to come back in 2011, but that his agents didn’t tell him about it.
He says, had he known, he would have come back and pitched for KIA. Instead, he signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers before the 2011 season during which he made $12,500 a month. The KIA offer was for 75% of his 2010 salary, which isn’t stated in the body of the complaint, but one assumes was much more than $12,500 a month.
Colon never made the bigs with L.A. He spent most of 2012 in Triple-A with the Royals too, making three appearances for the big club. The rules in Korea are such that, as a result of Colon effectively rejecting the qualifying offer, KIA retains his rights in that league for five years, so he can’t sign with other teams over there.
If what he alleges is true, he’s got a righteous claim.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)