Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Via the Sports Agent Blog we learn that journeyman reliever Roman Colon is suing his former agents, the Hendricks Brothers, alleging that they did not tell him about an offer which would have allowed him to continue pitching in Korea following the 2010 season.
Colon — whose Baseball-reference.com page refers to as “Roman” but who is identified as “Ramon Colon” in the complaint in this case — pitched for the KIA Tigers in Korea in 2010 and did a pretty decent job. He alleges that following the 2010 season KIA made him a contract offer to come back in 2011, but that his agents didn’t tell him about it.
He says, had he known, he would have come back and pitched for KIA. Instead, he signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers before the 2011 season during which he made $12,500 a month. The KIA offer was for 75% of his 2010 salary, which isn’t stated in the body of the complaint, but one assumes was much more than $12,500 a month.
Colon never made the bigs with L.A. He spent most of 2012 in Triple-A with the Royals too, making three appearances for the big club. The rules in Korea are such that, as a result of Colon effectively rejecting the qualifying offer, KIA retains his rights in that league for five years, so he can’t sign with other teams over there.
If what he alleges is true, he’s got a righteous claim.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)