Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Via the Sports Agent Blog we learn that journeyman reliever Roman Colon is suing his former agents, the Hendricks Brothers, alleging that they did not tell him about an offer which would have allowed him to continue pitching in Korea following the 2010 season.
Colon — whose Baseball-reference.com page refers to as “Roman” but who is identified as “Ramon Colon” in the complaint in this case — pitched for the KIA Tigers in Korea in 2010 and did a pretty decent job. He alleges that following the 2010 season KIA made him a contract offer to come back in 2011, but that his agents didn’t tell him about it.
He says, had he known, he would have come back and pitched for KIA. Instead, he signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers before the 2011 season during which he made $12,500 a month. The KIA offer was for 75% of his 2010 salary, which isn’t stated in the body of the complaint, but one assumes was much more than $12,500 a month.
Colon never made the bigs with L.A. He spent most of 2012 in Triple-A with the Royals too, making three appearances for the big club. The rules in Korea are such that, as a result of Colon effectively rejecting the qualifying offer, KIA retains his rights in that league for five years, so he can’t sign with other teams over there.
If what he alleges is true, he’s got a righteous claim.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)