Nov 1, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
Via the Sports Agent Blog we learn that journeyman reliever Roman Colon is suing his former agents, the Hendricks Brothers, alleging that they did not tell him about an offer which would have allowed him to continue pitching in Korea following the 2010 season.
Colon — whose Baseball-reference.com page refers to as “Roman” but who is identified as “Ramon Colon” in the complaint in this case — pitched for the KIA Tigers in Korea in 2010 and did a pretty decent job. He alleges that following the 2010 season KIA made him a contract offer to come back in 2011, but that his agents didn’t tell him about it.
He says, had he known, he would have come back and pitched for KIA. Instead, he signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers before the 2011 season during which he made $12,500 a month. The KIA offer was for 75% of his 2010 salary, which isn’t stated in the body of the complaint, but one assumes was much more than $12,500 a month.
Colon never made the bigs with L.A. He spent most of 2012 in Triple-A with the Royals too, making three appearances for the big club. The rules in Korea are such that, as a result of Colon effectively rejecting the qualifying offer, KIA retains his rights in that league for five years, so he can’t sign with other teams over there.
If what he alleges is true, he’s got a righteous claim.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)