Nov 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Yankees have interest in Torii Hunter, a source said. Hunter is unlikely to get a qualifying offer, so he wouldn’t cost a draft pick.
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) November 1, 2012
Hunter had a nice season in 2012, hitting .311/.365/.451 with 16 homers and 92 RBI. While he isn’t the defensive genius he once was, he’s still quite good on a corner and is known as one of the best clubhouse/character/media guys in the game. If the Yankees went for him instead of making a run at keeping Swisher, they’d have better outfield defense at the expense of not having a guy who could cover first base like Swisher can.
I think most teams would love to have Hunter on a one or a two-year deal.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)