Nov 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
The Yankees have interest in Torii Hunter, a source said. Hunter is unlikely to get a qualifying offer, so he wouldn’t cost a draft pick.
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) November 1, 2012
Hunter had a nice season in 2012, hitting .311/.365/.451 with 16 homers and 92 RBI. While he isn’t the defensive genius he once was, he’s still quite good on a corner and is known as one of the best clubhouse/character/media guys in the game. If the Yankees went for him instead of making a run at keeping Swisher, they’d have better outfield defense at the expense of not having a guy who could cover first base like Swisher can.
I think most teams would love to have Hunter on a one or a two-year deal.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)