Two of Pascual Perez’s greatest hits

Nov 1, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Pascual Perez fight

Still bummed over the news of the death of Pascual Perez.  When I first started thinking about him I, and probably a ton of other people, immediately first thought of him being lost on I-285, desperately looking for the ballpark and ultimately missing his start because of it. A ballpark that was not, it should be noted, situated on or anywhere near I-285.

But there were a couple of other memorable Pascual Perez moments. Two that come to mind were rather ugly, but time and, sadly, uglier things, make us look a bit more fondly on them.

First was a brawl. Not the one you’re thinking of. That one is below. The one I’m thinking of took place on August 25, 1981 when Perez’s Pittsburgh Pirates faced the Los Angels Dodgers. Chris Jaffe wrote a full rundown last year.  The upshot: Perez plunked a couple of Dodgers. Reggie Smith took umbrage and made motions toward the Pirates dugout.  Nothing happened until …

After ending the inning, Perez motioned to Smith he’d meet him under the stands—pronto. Smith and Perez both raced through their clubhouses and into the tunnels, meeting up behind home plate under the stands. Both dugouts emptied following them. Players came, coaches came, even managers Chuck Tanner and Tommy Lasorda came.

The fight, like most fights, wasn’t much of a fight. Some stadium officials said there was some shoving, but no punches thrown. By the time the umpires tracked everyone down, the incident was already over. There were no ejections, and Perez pitched one more inning.

That’s pro wrestling stuff right there. Other than when Prince Fielder rushed the Dodgers clubhouse a few years ago, I can’t recall such a thing happening.

The second one is that famous brawl. A brawl the likes of which you never ever see in the majors anymore. Guys make too much money and know too many other players for things to escalate like this, I reckon.  But back in 1984 it was a different story.  It started when Pascual Perez hit Alan Wiggins. Which led to retaliation by Ed Whitson against Perez when he came to bat, which led to a huge fight. A fight which, if you watch the video below, you note that Perez just strolled away from without having a punch thrown at him:

In all, there were brawls in the second, fifth, eighth and ninth innings of this ONE game. One of them involved Champ Summers — who just passed away himself in recent weeks — with a Leeroy Jenkins rush of the Braves dugout. Though we’d all be horrified at such a thing happening in a game today, with nearly 30 years of distance, the whole affair was almost glorious in a perverse way.

Both the 1981 Dodgers and the 1984 Padres went to the World Series, so maybe Perez was a galvanizing force.

RIP Perimeter Perez.

1. mrwillie - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Though we’d all be horrified at such a thing happening in a game today”

Of all the horrifying things in life, a baseball brawl is not one of them.

2. indaburg - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I-285 is a very tricky beltway to navigate. Once you get on that beltway, it is almost impossible to get out of it. I can’t be the only one who has gotten lost on that road… twice. Maybe it’s something about Dominicans named Perez on I-285.

I actually remember that brawl in 1984. Pretty ugly.

RIP Pascual.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

“Maybe it’s something about Dominicans named Perez on I-285.” Hahaha!

On thing I find surprising Inda:
      I didn’t realize you were old enough to remember the brawl.
      And I thought I was old. Wow. You are almost a geriatric!

• indaburg - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

lol… well, I was a kid.

3. skipperxc - Nov 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Tell me that’s not Joe West out there.

4. mpilatzke - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@Craig, there was a Mets-Reds fight around 1987 or 1988 at Shea Stadium that was just as bad if not worse. Either Tom Browning or one of the Nasty Boys (Dibble, Myers, Charlton) was throwing at Mets left and right. Darryl Strawberry and Howard Johnson attempted to get into the Cincinnati clubhouse from underneath the field but security wouldn’t let them in.

5. dondada10 - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Wow…1984 was almost 30 years ago.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I suddenly feel ancient…

• indaburg - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Oh, be quiet, young’un. :-)

6. albertmn - Nov 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

And, not one kick to the head. Maybe a certain Reds pitcher should be watching this….

• IdahoMariner - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

i still don’t forgive him for that kick…and i can’t stand the cards. just a crappy, cowardly act.

and in the video, i enjoyed that both the pitcher and the batter just got the hell out of the way.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

A brawl the likes of which you never ever see in the majors anymore.

The Tino Martinez/Armando Benitez Brawl in ’98 is far far worse. The whole ordeal took about 15 min, there was Strawberry chasing Benitez into the dugout throwing the mother of all haymakers at him, Graeme Lloyd doing the crazy reliever chasing after anyone thing, and, what everyone forgets, Tim Raines hitting the first pitch for a HR. I’m desparately searching for a video, by MLB sucks in asking people to remove youtube vids. If you find one, I’ll download a copy and reupload to youtube in case MLB is watching.

And negative nerd points for you Craig, to linking a wiki page to Leeroy Jenkins. For full nerd cred, at least link the original video:

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Here’s MLB’s video, it’s only 7 min long. The full vid was 15 min:

• Joe - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Joe Torre and Sam Perlozzo are in both of those brawls. What is it about those guys that makes the other team throw at their batters?

• djpostl - Nov 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM

At least I have chicken…

8. Hunter Pence's Eyes - Nov 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Tim Flannery right in the middle of it. Good to see he’s still just as fiery today!

9. ezthinking - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:33 AM

No mention of his efforts to pick off a runner at first by throwing over through his legs?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3707)