Nov 1, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
Chicago declined its $13 million option on Kevin Youkilis earlier this week, buying him out for $1 million instead, but the White Sox are interested in bringing him back at a reduced salary.
New general manager Rick Hahn said during a radio interview with ESPN-1000 that he laid out the situation to Youkilis when informing him the option would be declined:
This is the first time Kevin has had a chance to be out on the open market, and he’s got a young family out on the west coast, and he wants to explore what’s out there. But he knows there is no confusion in his mind about our desire to bring him back. So we’re going to stay on that, stay in communication. It’s not a great time to be a club in the free-agent market looking for a third baseman, the player pool is not real deep, so I expect Kevin will be popular, but we’re going to be in on that until the end, I think.
Youkilis is coming off the first sub-.800 OPS season of his career, has struggled to stay healthy, and will be 34 years old before Opening Day, so it would have been tough to justify paying him $13 million even on a one-year commitment. He hit .236 with 15 homers and a .771 OPS in 80 games after being traded to the White Sox, which is both well below his career norms and still above-average production for a third baseman.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights