Nov 1, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
Chicago declined its $13 million option on Kevin Youkilis earlier this week, buying him out for $1 million instead, but the White Sox are interested in bringing him back at a reduced salary.
New general manager Rick Hahn said during a radio interview with ESPN-1000 that he laid out the situation to Youkilis when informing him the option would be declined:
This is the first time Kevin has had a chance to be out on the open market, and he’s got a young family out on the west coast, and he wants to explore what’s out there. But he knows there is no confusion in his mind about our desire to bring him back. So we’re going to stay on that, stay in communication. It’s not a great time to be a club in the free-agent market looking for a third baseman, the player pool is not real deep, so I expect Kevin will be popular, but we’re going to be in on that until the end, I think.
Youkilis is coming off the first sub-.800 OPS season of his career, has struggled to stay healthy, and will be 34 years old before Opening Day, so it would have been tough to justify paying him $13 million even on a one-year commitment. He hit .236 with 15 homers and a .771 OPS in 80 games after being traded to the White Sox, which is both well below his career norms and still above-average production for a third baseman.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)