Nov 1, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
Chicago declined its $13 million option on Kevin Youkilis earlier this week, buying him out for $1 million instead, but the White Sox are interested in bringing him back at a reduced salary.
New general manager Rick Hahn said during a radio interview with ESPN-1000 that he laid out the situation to Youkilis when informing him the option would be declined:
This is the first time Kevin has had a chance to be out on the open market, and he’s got a young family out on the west coast, and he wants to explore what’s out there. But he knows there is no confusion in his mind about our desire to bring him back. So we’re going to stay on that, stay in communication. It’s not a great time to be a club in the free-agent market looking for a third baseman, the player pool is not real deep, so I expect Kevin will be popular, but we’re going to be in on that until the end, I think.
Youkilis is coming off the first sub-.800 OPS season of his career, has struggled to stay healthy, and will be 34 years old before Opening Day, so it would have been tough to justify paying him $13 million even on a one-year commitment. He hit .236 with 15 homers and a .771 OPS in 80 games after being traded to the White Sox, which is both well below his career norms and still above-average production for a third baseman.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)