Nov 1, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
Chicago declined its $13 million option on Kevin Youkilis earlier this week, buying him out for $1 million instead, but the White Sox are interested in bringing him back at a reduced salary.
New general manager Rick Hahn said during a radio interview with ESPN-1000 that he laid out the situation to Youkilis when informing him the option would be declined:
This is the first time Kevin has had a chance to be out on the open market, and he’s got a young family out on the west coast, and he wants to explore what’s out there. But he knows there is no confusion in his mind about our desire to bring him back. So we’re going to stay on that, stay in communication. It’s not a great time to be a club in the free-agent market looking for a third baseman, the player pool is not real deep, so I expect Kevin will be popular, but we’re going to be in on that until the end, I think.
Youkilis is coming off the first sub-.800 OPS season of his career, has struggled to stay healthy, and will be 34 years old before Opening Day, so it would have been tough to justify paying him $13 million even on a one-year commitment. He hit .236 with 15 homers and a .771 OPS in 80 games after being traded to the White Sox, which is both well below his career norms and still above-average production for a third baseman.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)