Nov 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
San Francisco declined its team option on Aubrey Huff, giving him a $2 million buyout instead of a $10 million salary for 2013.
Huff had an excellent, red thong-fueled 2010 season for the Giants on their way to the World Series title, at which point they re-signed him to a two-year, $22 million contract that included the option for 2013.
For that money he hit .239 with 13 homers and a .668 OPS in 202 games and was basically a non-factor this year due in part to anxiety issues. At age 35 he’ll likely have to settle for a minor-league deal.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)