Nov 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
San Francisco declined its team option on Aubrey Huff, giving him a $2 million buyout instead of a $10 million salary for 2013.
Huff had an excellent, red thong-fueled 2010 season for the Giants on their way to the World Series title, at which point they re-signed him to a two-year, $22 million contract that included the option for 2013.
For that money he hit .239 with 13 homers and a .668 OPS in 202 games and was basically a non-factor this year due in part to anxiety issues. At age 35 he’ll likely have to settle for a minor-league deal.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)