Nov 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
San Francisco declined its team option on Aubrey Huff, giving him a $2 million buyout instead of a $10 million salary for 2013.
Huff had an excellent, red thong-fueled 2010 season for the Giants on their way to the World Series title, at which point they re-signed him to a two-year, $22 million contract that included the option for 2013.
For that money he hit .239 with 13 homers and a .668 OPS in 202 games and was basically a non-factor this year due in part to anxiety issues. At age 35 he’ll likely have to settle for a minor-league deal.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 7
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 15
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)