Nov 2, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
San Francisco declined its team option on Aubrey Huff, giving him a $2 million buyout instead of a $10 million salary for 2013.
Huff had an excellent, red thong-fueled 2010 season for the Giants on their way to the World Series title, at which point they re-signed him to a two-year, $22 million contract that included the option for 2013.
For that money he hit .239 with 13 homers and a .668 OPS in 202 games and was basically a non-factor this year due in part to anxiety issues. At age 35 he’ll likely have to settle for a minor-league deal.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32