Nov 2, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Iwakuma will get $14 million guaranteed. He’ll make $6.5 million in each of the next two seasons while there’s a $1 million buyout on a $7 million option for 2015.
11:29 PM: Hisashi Iwakuma was hours away from reaching free agency, but the Mariners swooped in at the last minute tonight and signed him to a two-year extension with a club option for 2015. Terms haven’t been disclosed.
As Larry Stone of the Seattle Times points out, there was a sense of urgency to get a deal done today. Per a stipulation in the one-year contract Iwakuma signed last offseason, if he re-signed with the Mariners after Saturday’s deadline, he would be ineligible to play for the club until May 15 of next year.
Iwakuma thrived after getting a chance in the Mariners’ rotation this July, going 9-4 with a 2.65 ERA and a 78/28 K/BB ratio over 95 innings. The 31-year-old right-hander will return to a rotation which is set to include Felix Hernandez and Jason Vargas. Erasmo Ramirez and Blake Beavan are the likely frontrunners for the other two spots.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights