Nov 2, 2012, 5:34 PM EDT
Yesterday the Yankees pledged $500,000 to aid in Sandy relief.
A few minutes ago Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced that they are going to join together to donate $1 million to the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army and Feeding America to assist emergency relief efforts in the most devastated areas along the East Coast affected by Superstorm Sandy.
Commissioner Selig’s statement:
“As our thoughts and prayers remain with all those who have been impacted by this tragedy, it is a privilege for Major League Baseball to support our fans and their communities during this urgent time of need. All of us at Major League Baseball are grateful to our society’s leaders, first responders and volunteers, and we hope that our contribution to these humanitarian organizations will assist in the vital relief efforts along the East Coast. This is a time when the resiliency of the great American spirit will prevail.”
Michael Weiner’s statement:
“Natural disasters know no boundaries, and this one was a direct hit that affected many in the MLBPA’s office personally. On behalf of the MLBPA and its members, we are honored to join with the Commissioner’s Office in making this contribution to support the efforts of organizations working around the clock to help provide various forms of relief and assistance to those suffering in the aftermath of the storm, including many of our friends and neighbors in need.”
Additionally, MLB will work closely with teams and broadcast partners to encourage baseball fans to support the Red Cross via public service announcements, programming mentions and editorial coverage on MLB Network and MLB.com.
More information can be obtained at MLBCommunity.org
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)