Report: Mark McGwire to become hitting coach for the Dodgers

Nov 2, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT

mcgwire--mark-120108.standard[1]

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Mark McGwire has told the Cardinals that he intends to accept an offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers to become their hitting coach. Strauss says the deal is not final, but that it appears to be close to it.

McGwire has been the Cardinals’ hitting coach for three years, and they offered him a contract extension to return, but apparently Los Angeles is where he wants to be.  As Strauss notes, McGwire is from southern California and his offseason home is in Orange County with his wife and children.

It’s hard to say the specific impact a hitting coach has on a team, and I suspect that there is a much stronger correlation between latent talent and offense than there is between a hitting coach’s instruction and offense.  But it is worth noting that the Cardinals have hit the daylights out of the ball while McGwire has been in the fold, so one can presume that he has at least done no harm.

1. skerney - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Ned gonna Ned.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

For more Cardinal centric talk, here’s a great hour long interview Cards GM John Mozeliak did with Bernie Miklasz yesterday.

Detailed converation about the youngsters if you’re partial to the Hyperventilating Prospect Geek Fraternity:

Listen here:

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

More from Mo today from The ITD Morning After Show, great insight.

Click below and listen scroll to “Segment 3″

• paperlions - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for the links, some good stuff.

The only thing I heard that I really don’t like is the persistent emphasis on lefty specialists rather than bullpen guys that can simply get guys out. Scrabble looked horrible/shaky all year…hopefully, that was just natural variation over a small sample size (especially his HR/FB rate, which was crazy high). Having a lefty to get out lefties is great….but if they are horrible against righties, their value is still pretty low….having one such guy is bad enough….using two roster spots for such a minimal role seems pretty dumb.

• skerney - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM

He’s not here to talk about the past.

2. okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Early speculation from those that are usually in the know in the STL sports media have John Mabry being promoted to full time Cards hitting instructor.

I

• The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

This could not amuse me more. It might be reason enough for me to discuss the origins of my forum name.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Mike Aldrete’s apparently in the running as well, maybe a forum name change would be in order if that happened.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

So it’s a “forum name?” Not a “handle,” or “screen name.”
        Officially…it’s called a “forum name?”
        I am being serious Mabry. A “forum name?”

• fm31970 - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM

This is crazy.

Call me, Mabry.

3. buffalo65 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Seems like he’d be a better fit in San Fran if you ask me.

• kingscourt25 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

oh, i get it

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

because he’s a hippie?

• jimeejohnson - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Because he’s a freak!

• badintent - Nov 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

BALCO , HERE WE COME !!

4. theaxmancometh - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Since its Ned I’d expect at least a 3 yr $21m deal

5. marinersnate - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

NC: Welcome to our organization Mark! Your title here will be Hitting Instructor.

MM: Thank you, Ned. I intend to do EVERYTHING possible to get the most out our hitters this season.

NC: Fine, fine. You do realize though, that right now we are spending a boatload of cash on player acquisition. So we will need you to keep expenses down as much as possible.

MM: I will do what I can with what I got Ned.

NC: Great Mark. I think your first order of business this spring will be to ‘fix’ Andre and Hanley. Think you can do that?

MM: Sure Ned. Absolutely. But I will need a couple of extra staff for that.

NC: What? What extra staff? Why?

MM: Well, probably a couple guys with Andre and Henley’s blood types. Someone has got to piss in those little bottles.

• kingscourt25 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

good job, good effort?

6. sheriffpeyton18 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I read the whole previous comment thinking there might some wit. Nope, there was none to be had!

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

at least it was really long…

7. cdeangelus - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hopefully we’ll see some sort of reprint of this baseball card:

8. dondada10 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I’m shocked to see a Cardinal leave the nest. I’m sure money was as much of a factor as proximity to his family was.

• mrwillie - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

He was an A 3x longer than he was a Card.

9. mrwillie - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Hey St. Louis, the other Bash Brother is available.

10. jason9696 - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’m surprised this cheater was even a career .263 hitter.

11. ramrene - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

He’ll have little to no impact.

The presumption that major league players are willing and open to hitting instruction is erroneous. When a player makes it to the major league level he’s less likely to be open to instruction unless he falls to rock bottom. Most players figure “I’ve made it this far my way…” so they aren’t willing to listen. Learning occurs at the minor league level where players are more willing to do or try anything to make it to the MLB level.

Charlie Lau, Sr got it right. All anyone needs to do is read his book to learn of the difficulties a hitting instructor has to face then overcome to help a player. George Brett wasn’t going to be the Hall-of-Fame player he turned out to be until he hit rock bottom and only then was he willing to try different things to rebuild his swing.

Does anyone really think Matt Kemp, Adrian Gonzales, Hanley Ramirez, Carl Crawford, or Andre Ethier is going to be amicable to making little nip & tuck changes here and there in their swings?… not going to happen.

McGwire is just going to steal a paycheck for a while until and if the team struggles. Then predictably he’ll become a sacrificial lamb to apease the fans that “something was done”.

McGwire may be a good hitting isntructor, he may be a poor hitting instructor, but for sure he won’t be utilized by the high paid Dodger hitters and their MLB sized egos.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I suppose that is the art of being a hitting coach: figuring out how to best help each player. Sure, the young ones may be wide open to suggestion, and the veteran guys may be less so.

Athletes can watch tape at the end of the day, but in the middle of practice they need eyes other than their own, even if the player already has a plan. Sometimes it can be as simple as, “Hey Coach, let me know if I start dropping my shoulder.” and the coach let’s him know.

• kingscourt25 - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Hanley’s the only one that has a history of an ego of the players you listed

12. astrofaninkc - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Saw this on my twitter feed, so I can’t take credit for it, but I thought it was good for a laugh/groan:

“Mark McGwire has always been a Dodger…of questions pertaining to steroids. Amirite?”

I’ll see myself out now.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Sebek!

13. mpasse - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

California already has silicone valley. It might as well have steroid ravine too.

14. prosourcetalk - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I want a “Ned gonna Ned” t-shirt

15. 49ersgiants4life - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Now go get double B to be the hitting coach for the Giants it will be like the old days

• kkolchak - Nov 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM

And double S for the Cubs.

16. Gamera the Brave - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I have seen his house.
    It’s a very nice house.
    It’s a very big house.
    I would want to work close to it.
    I would live in it if he asked me.
    There would be room for my whole family, and he would never see us…

17. BigBeachBall - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Is rodger clemens available for pitching coach?

18. BigBeachBall - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Are u on drugs?

19. barroomhero80 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM

@marinersnate geezus save the unfunny crap.

20. diamondmo33 - Nov 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

And yet baseball won’t let Pete rose back in??

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

What does a guy who bet on Baseball have to do with Mark McGwire becoming the Dodgers’ hitting coach?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3222)