Nov 2, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Mark McGwire has told the Cardinals that he intends to accept an offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers to become their hitting coach. Strauss says the deal is not final, but that it appears to be close to it.
McGwire has been the Cardinals’ hitting coach for three years, and they offered him a contract extension to return, but apparently Los Angeles is where he wants to be. As Strauss notes, McGwire is from southern California and his offseason home is in Orange County with his wife and children.
It’s hard to say the specific impact a hitting coach has on a team, and I suspect that there is a much stronger correlation between latent talent and offense than there is between a hitting coach’s instruction and offense. But it is worth noting that the Cardinals have hit the daylights out of the ball while McGwire has been in the fold, so one can presume that he has at least done no harm.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)