The Astros unveiled their new logo and uniforms tonight

Nov 2, 2012, 8:42 PM EDT

There wasn’t much suspense left after the Astros’ new logo was leaked twice over the past week, but the club officially rolled out their new look at a launch party tonight.

“New” is a bit of a misnomer in this case, as the Astros have brought back the star-H and the classic orange and blue. Here’s a shot of their various uniform configurations, courtesy of Cory Hepola of CSNHouston.com.

source:

Pretty snazzy. The Astros posted a bunch of pictures on their Twitter feed, so be sure to check that out. It was a nice touch to see top prospects Jonathan Singleton and George Springer featured prominently.

1. josemartez - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Classy stuff. Well done, Houston.

• townballblog - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I completely agree, so simple yet so stylish. The hats are fantastic!

• cosanostra71 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

love the home whites

2. cdeangelus - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I follow an American League team, so one thing I’m mildly excited about for next season is seeing games played at Houston. It’s always been a great looking stadium.

• crackersnap - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Until we see Mike Trout’s career cut short by Tal’s Hill…

3. flavadave10 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I’m guessing Altuve gets a kids sized jersey?

4. okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The home whites and road grays look great.

The entire alernate/softball jersey movement should just go away – for everyone.

• mazblast - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I agree. While you’re at it, make it one set of pants for each of the two jerseys, and one hat, period. The only reason all these “alternates” exist is to sell more, uh, stuff.

5. cambodianbreastmilk - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I like them. Kept it simple and brought back a touch of the 80’s/early 90’s with the “H” on the Star background.

6. eagles512 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Great hats and unis but they need to do something about the way the stadium comes off on tv. It looks like you’re watching a game in Japan.

• historiophiliac - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know what that means.

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:32 AM

It’s a ballpark…with natural grass…with an overbearing slanted hill in centerfield…with a train track on top of the concourse in left field. Yes, yes, that stadium in the Bayou City certainly screams out Japanese roots.

7. Andrew Chapman - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Piping is way overdone, in my opinion. I think it looks good on jerseys like Detroit and Washington, where the logo is only on one side of the jersey front. But for jerseys like this, where the name goes left to right over the whole front of the jersey, the piping just doesn’t work for me. It looks cluttered. But this is a definite upgrade over the previous design.

8. charleslouis99 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

they look pretty good but they kindve look like the giants Jerseys

• crackersnap - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I agree. They look like SF Giants Lite.

• natstowngreg - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Agreed.

• tokyotx - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

The hats are the same classic ones since they changed from the Colt .45s to the Astros in mid-60s through the mid-90s. The uniforms are similar to ones they had in late 60s to early 70s before the rainbows took over. I still like those shooting star ones from 60s but overall awesome change. Never really got into the brick red theme.

9. canoyoulie - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

maybe the college’s will take notice and get off their “every-game-a-new-uniform style” approach which has me refusing to even pay attention to college football anymore except for the traditional schools.

10. chill1184 - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Looking good, nice job Astros

11. eagles512 - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

If you meant my Japan comment, I meant that on tv, it looks like you’re watching a game taken place in a foreign country. Something about the picture on tv doesn’t look right and isn’t clear.

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I still don’t understand what you mean. Clarity in your picture has nothing to do with the ballpark design. But, props to you for being one of like 50 people in your market watching the Lastros on TV.

12. philliesphan - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I am not into flashy uniforms, but these look kind of dull to me. Look outdated already.

• mazblast - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I see them as classic and classy. Perhaps they are somewhat reminiscent of the Giants’ jerseys, but if you’re going to base your uniforms on someone else’s, why not the team that has won two of the last three world championships?

Also, they beat the heck out of the red jerseys they’ve worn lately.

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM

The brick-red uniforms were atrocious.

• tokyotx - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

These are classic Astros colors. Nothing to do with the Giants.

13. blazertop - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:47 AM

MEH. Not exactly earth shattering great, but better than the 90s navy and gold garbage they used to wear.

14. queenlivekillers - Nov 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I like them. Old school. It’s nice to see them use a classic look. I like the Texaco hats: http://garageart.com/detailpage.asp?ID=4164&Category=Vintage~Gas~-~Oil~Signs

15. hieronymous27 - Nov 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM

The home jersey would have looked much sharper and old school classic by dropping the lettering of “Astros” and replacing it with the H and the star to match the cap.

16. Old Gator - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Understated, handsome, classy. Totally wasted on the travesty that is designatedhitterball.

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Boooo!

17. lamontjoe - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

They remind me of the Redsoxs uniforms. Come on be original.

18. forsch31 - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Eh. It’s not bad, but I was kinda hoping for the return of the shooting star uniforms.

19. dracko19 - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM

This is a complete win. Losing will never look better

20. canadabaseball - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Looks just like the marlins jerseys

21. hieronymous27 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

IMO no MLB team should wear a colored jersey. If a team wants to have 2 different types of home uniforms and 2 different types of road uniforms then go for it. But the jersey and the pants should be the same color. Wearing a colored jersey with grey, or white, baseball pants makes it look like you are watching a beer league softball team. Hard to imagine Jackie Robinson or Lou Gehrig in a mismatched uni.

22. alonestartexan - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I like the uniforms, I’m really getting tired of reading how they look like the Giants, for starters, the Astros didn’t copy the Giants, the Astros wore Orange and Navy for the better part of 32 or so years as the Colt .45’s and the Astros. The new Astros jerseys have piping, the Giants do not. The Giants wear black with light orange trim, the Astros wear navy with a lot of orange.

• tokyotx - Nov 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Exactly. Nothing to do with the Giants.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2653)