The Rangers are interested in David Ortiz

Nov 2, 2012, 8:07 AM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Getty Images

Yesterday I said I’d be utterly shocked if David Ortiz wasn’t back with the Red Sox in 2013.  I still will be, but Ken Rosenthal reports that there is at least some competition for Big Papi’s services:

The Boston Red Sox are not alone in their pursuit of designated hitter David Ortiz. The Texas Rangers also have expressed serious interest in Ortiz, major-league sources say, envisioning him as a left-handed hitting replacement for their own free agent, Josh Hamilton.

I find that more interesting for what it means for the Rangers — that they are possibly looking to add a big bat — than what it means for Ortiz and the Red Sox.

And I’m sure some people would be more concerned about what it means for Michael Young‘s playing time. Not reasonable people, of course. Reasonable people would be quite happy about that.

1. belichickrulz - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Vaya con Dios, Papi.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM

What are the odds that Rosenthal’s source is the agent for Ortiz?

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I think he was consulting his bow tie.

• ltzep75 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I love the imagery of Rosenthal engaging in discussion with his overbearing, rude, and brash bowtie. I don’t know why his bowtie is such a jerk, but I like to think that it is.

• pisano - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

proudly…. I think you might be on to something.

• belichickrulz - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I hope the Sox call his bluff, then. Their offer will be one year/$13.3 million. Let’s see if the Rangers or anyone else tops that (my bet is No).

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I guess it depends on what is more important to Ortiz….he’s already made a crap ton of money….will he trade a couple of million for another chance to compete? In Boston, he might make a little more, but he’ll have no chance at the playoffs…in Texas, he’s nearly guaranteed a playoff shot each year, especially if TX is smart enough to replace Young with an actual productive hitter.

• stex52 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

It’s amazing how often speaking obvious truths gets you a boatload of thumbs downs. Texas saves a lot of money over several years by letting Hamilton find his best deal. Ortiz signs for two, much less risked than the other contract. They can then promote from within or find another free agent.

And even Boston will tell you Texas is much more likely to compete in 2013.

Get over your emotions, people. It’s a money-making business.

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’m used to it stex. I think it is mostly the data-driven opinion that leaves little to no wiggle room for opinions not based on fact….people hate changing their opinions, even if they are fairly sure they are wrong, they’ll cling to them as long as they can.

3. heyblueyoustink - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Blogger(Personal mission)+Name(Calcaterra)/unexplainable utter disdain for a single unspectacular ball player = Michael Young?

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Again, there has never been disdain expressed for MY, just for the enormous incongruences between fact and the insistent and persistent narrative much of the media insists on. He had some solid seasons, but he’s never been the hitter people act like he is, he’s never been an above average defender (and for years has been among the worst), and for all of his veterany leaderness….every time they replace him at a position with a superior player (and Kinsler, Andrus, and Beltre are all superior on both sides of the ball) he whines publicly and says he wants to be traded….which Youngites actively ignore (along with his complete lack of production or ability to catch a ball).

4. Carl Hancock - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Next we’ll be hearing that a “mystery” team has entered the bidding for Ortiz. Gotta loves agents.

5. billymc75 - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

At least Hamilton can play a position and if he wants 13 than that’s what TX is offering Hamilton , I’ll take Hamilton in their ages

6. polegojim - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM

With the sting of the world series still fresh… I’d gladly give up Frog Fielder and make room for Ortiz.

7. willclarkgameface - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Tell Texas to take him. Please. It’s just time to let the stump on the Boston bench go.

For a guy that hates talking about his contract during the season, he sure did a lot of talking about his contract during the season.

I’m tired of his complaining and inability to actually PLAY baseball. He hits. That’s all. He probably doesn’t even own a glove. What kind of silliness do you really want to see when baseball “players” don’t own gloves? And that goes for you Jim Thome.

Rid yourself of the DH MLB. Let’s play some REAL games.

• thereisaparty - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

What you do call the minor leagues? and college baseball? Do they only FAKE games?

• willclarkgameface - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Real baseball is NL-style baseball.

The manager actually has to work. Pitchers have to hit and run bases and TRY. Pitchers are accountable at the plate and WILL get brushed back if they are doing it to the opposition.

It’s an abomination when you have idiots like Chien-Ming Wang that can’t run the bases even close to correct and injure themselves in the process.

• thereisaparty - Nov 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Have I been imagining AL, MiLB, and college baseball this whole time?

No-DH is the exception to the rule now.

• stex52 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I truly wish there was no DH. I hate it But that argument is over. They are not even teaching pitchers to bat in the minors or college anymore. The NL’s days without it are numbered.

8. randygnyc - Nov 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

If true, this means the rangers will not make any effort to resign Hamilton. With a young, inexpensive outfielder, Ortiz can pick up a large portion of offense that Hamilton would provide. Conceivably, Ortiz and a young outfielder will be less expensive than Josh.

All the trade deadline news to know