Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Saunders writes that the surgery “is not considered major” and Helton is expected to be ready for spring training, but at age 39 and coming off a season in which he played just 69 games his health is obviously a huge question mark.
Helton is owed $5 million in the final season of his contract and has played 16 seasons for the Rockies, but hit just .238 with seven homers and a .743 OPS when in the lineup this year. At this point he seems likely to be a part-time player in 2013.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead