Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Saunders writes that the surgery “is not considered major” and Helton is expected to be ready for spring training, but at age 39 and coming off a season in which he played just 69 games his health is obviously a huge question mark.
Helton is owed $5 million in the final season of his contract and has played 16 seasons for the Rockies, but hit just .238 with seven homers and a .743 OPS when in the lineup this year. At this point he seems likely to be a part-time player in 2013.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)