Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Saunders writes that the surgery “is not considered major” and Helton is expected to be ready for spring training, but at age 39 and coming off a season in which he played just 69 games his health is obviously a huge question mark.
Helton is owed $5 million in the final season of his contract and has played 16 seasons for the Rockies, but hit just .238 with seven homers and a .743 OPS when in the lineup this year. At this point he seems likely to be a part-time player in 2013.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)