Nov 2, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Saunders writes that the surgery “is not considered major” and Helton is expected to be ready for spring training, but at age 39 and coming off a season in which he played just 69 games his health is obviously a huge question mark.
Helton is owed $5 million in the final season of his contract and has played 16 seasons for the Rockies, but hit just .238 with seven homers and a .743 OPS when in the lineup this year. At this point he seems likely to be a part-time player in 2013.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)