Nov 3, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Colon will receive a $3 million base salary and could earn more with incentives.
4:37 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Colon joined the A’s on a one-year, $2 million contract in January and posted a solid 3.43 ERA and 91/23 K/BB ratio over 152 2/3 innings prior to being suspended 50 games for testing positive for testosterone in late August. The 39-year-old right-hander still has five games left on the suspension, so he will begin the 2013 season on the restricted list. However, the fallout of the positive test wasn’t enough to scare the Athletics away. Colon is currently pitching with for Aguilas in the Dominican Winter League and recently required stitches after he was hit in the face by a line drive.
The Athletics currently have Colon, Brett Anderson, Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone and A.J. Griffin lined up for their rotation, so free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy might not be a fit any longer.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29