Nov 3, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Colon will receive a $3 million base salary and could earn more with incentives.
4:37 PM: Well, here’s a surprise.
Colon joined the A’s on a one-year, $2 million contract in January and posted a solid 3.43 ERA and 91/23 K/BB ratio over 152 2/3 innings prior to being suspended 50 games for testing positive for testosterone in late August. The 39-year-old right-hander still has five games left on the suspension, so he will begin the 2013 season on the restricted list. However, the fallout of the positive test wasn’t enough to scare the Athletics away. Colon is currently pitching with for Aguilas in the Dominican Winter League and recently required stitches after he was hit in the face by a line drive.
The Athletics currently have Colon, Brett Anderson, Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone and A.J. Griffin lined up for their rotation, so free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy might not be a fit any longer.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)