Brandon McCarthy finding “immediate interest” in free agency

Nov 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT

brandon mccarthy getty Getty Images

Free agent starter Brandon McCarthy has made it known that he would like to return to the Athletics.

But he is going to have some options.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that McCarthy has drawn “immediate interest” from multiple teams since officially becoming a free agent early Saturday morning. Slusser names the Cubs, White Sox and Blue Jays as possible suitors, and there could be many others.

McCarthy was limited to just 111 innings in 2012 due to shoulder and head injuries, but he had a 3.24 ERA while healthy. In 2011, the right-hander posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 170 2/3 total frames.

McCarthy has experienced no issues with his brain function since being released from an Oakland hospital in early September and the shoulder problems he experienced this summer were considered to be minor.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I am sure that The Jays are very interested in McCarthy.

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Ih he becomes a Beaver Wrangler I’m going to have to stop hating him, aren’t I? Well, dang that to heck.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Alas, Amanda is taken!

• APBA Guy - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Cur, you need to educate these readers who gave you thumbs down: your snark is the highest form of flattery. Indde, those of us long-termers appreciate the veiled Amanda-envy. Right PC?

2. fantasymoney - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM

When he was on the mound, McCarthy was very solid this past year. I’m not surprised that he’s garnering this much attention. Oakland seems to always have a huge buffet of young starting pitching, so they’re probably not going to be too aggressive going after BM. Especially after wasting 3M on Colon. It’s going to be fun to see where BM winds up. I love when the stove just starts getting warm.

3. Stiller43 - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Would love if the buccos got him, but i know it would literally never happen. *sigh*

4. canadabaseball - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

The jays are always linked to all these free agents but will AA actually pull the trigger on anyone this offseason

5. realbenrush - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Orioles. Please.

6. Detroit Michael - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Given his injury history, I don’t think I’d characterize his shoulder problems as minor.

7. Lukehart80 - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

McCarthy and Dan Haren are the two pitchers I’d like to see the Indians make a run at. Both should be affordable, even on a Cleveland-sized budget, and I think both will bounce back and pitch well in 2013. Either one would be a big boost to the Tribe’s rotation.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win