Nov 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Free agent starter Brandon McCarthy has made it known that he would like to return to the Athletics.
But he is going to have some options.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that McCarthy has drawn “immediate interest” from multiple teams since officially becoming a free agent early Saturday morning. Slusser names the Cubs, White Sox and Blue Jays as possible suitors, and there could be many others.
McCarthy was limited to just 111 innings in 2012 due to shoulder and head injuries, but he had a 3.24 ERA while healthy. In 2011, the right-hander posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 170 2/3 total frames.
McCarthy has experienced no issues with his brain function since being released from an Oakland hospital in early September and the shoulder problems he experienced this summer were considered to be minor.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 15
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)