Nov 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
Free agent starter Brandon McCarthy has made it known that he would like to return to the Athletics.
But he is going to have some options.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that McCarthy has drawn “immediate interest” from multiple teams since officially becoming a free agent early Saturday morning. Slusser names the Cubs, White Sox and Blue Jays as possible suitors, and there could be many others.
McCarthy was limited to just 111 innings in 2012 due to shoulder and head injuries, but he had a 3.24 ERA while healthy. In 2011, the right-hander posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 170 2/3 total frames.
McCarthy has experienced no issues with his brain function since being released from an Oakland hospital in early September and the shoulder problems he experienced this summer were considered to be minor.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (96)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)