Nov 3, 2012, 8:40 PM EST
Free agent starter Brandon McCarthy has made it known that he would like to return to the Athletics.
But he is going to have some options.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that McCarthy has drawn “immediate interest” from multiple teams since officially becoming a free agent early Saturday morning. Slusser names the Cubs, White Sox and Blue Jays as possible suitors, and there could be many others.
McCarthy was limited to just 111 innings in 2012 due to shoulder and head injuries, but he had a 3.24 ERA while healthy. In 2011, the right-hander posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 170 2/3 total frames.
McCarthy has experienced no issues with his brain function since being released from an Oakland hospital in early September and the shoulder problems he experienced this summer were considered to be minor.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (187)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)