Nov 3, 2012, 12:52 PM EST
The White Sox declined Brett Myers‘ $10 million club option for 2013 earlier this week, instead paying him a $3 million buyout. Now that he’s a free agent, Myers tells Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com that he’s willing to market himself as both a starting pitcher and a reliever this winter.
“I’ve got the mentality, I want to pitch,” Myers said. “Whichever way a team wants me to go I’ll do. I think I’ve proven I can start. I’ve proven I can do both. Hindsight is 20/20. Some teams might like me in the bullpen. Some might like me as a starter. It’s up to the team.”
Myers saved 21 games for the Phillies back in 2007, but was a starter from 2008-2011 before the Astros moved him back to the closer role this year. The 32-year-old right-hander compiled a 3.52 ERA, 19 saves and a 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings before being traded to the White Sox in July. He then enjoyed success as a set-up man, posting a 3.12 ERA and 21/9 K/BB ratio over 34 2/3 innings. The White Sox considered picking up his option and using him as a starter next season, but they ultimately decided to let him test the open market.
There’s little downside to Myers being flexible about his role, as it will allow his agent to talk to a wider swath of teams before determining the right fit.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (106)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)