Nov 3, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
The White Sox declined Brett Myers‘ $10 million club option for 2013 earlier this week, instead paying him a $3 million buyout. Now that he’s a free agent, Myers tells Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com that he’s willing to market himself as both a starting pitcher and a reliever this winter.
“I’ve got the mentality, I want to pitch,” Myers said. “Whichever way a team wants me to go I’ll do. I think I’ve proven I can start. I’ve proven I can do both. Hindsight is 20/20. Some teams might like me in the bullpen. Some might like me as a starter. It’s up to the team.”
Myers saved 21 games for the Phillies back in 2007, but was a starter from 2008-2011 before the Astros moved him back to the closer role this year. The 32-year-old right-hander compiled a 3.52 ERA, 19 saves and a 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings before being traded to the White Sox in July. He then enjoyed success as a set-up man, posting a 3.12 ERA and 21/9 K/BB ratio over 34 2/3 innings. The White Sox considered picking up his option and using him as a starter next season, but they ultimately decided to let him test the open market.
There’s little downside to Myers being flexible about his role, as it will allow his agent to talk to a wider swath of teams before determining the right fit.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)