Brett Myers is open to being a starter or a reliever

Nov 3, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT

Brett Myers Getty Getty Images

The White Sox declined Brett Myers‘ $10 million club option for 2013 earlier this week, instead paying him a $3 million buyout. Now that he’s a free agent, Myers tells Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com that he’s willing to market himself as both a starting pitcher and a reliever this winter.

“I’ve got the mentality, I want to pitch,” Myers said. “Whichever way a team wants me to go I’ll do. I think I’ve proven I can start. I’ve proven I can do both. Hindsight is 20/20. Some teams might like me in the bullpen. Some might like me as a starter. It’s up to the team.”

Myers saved 21 games for the Phillies back in 2007, but was a starter from 2008-2011 before the Astros moved him back to the closer role this year. The 32-year-old right-hander compiled a 3.52 ERA, 19 saves and a 20/6 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings before being traded to the White Sox in July. He then enjoyed success as a set-up man, posting a 3.12 ERA and 21/9 K/BB ratio over 34 2/3 innings. The White Sox considered picking up his option and using him as a starter next season, but they ultimately decided to let him test the open market.

There’s little downside to Myers being flexible about his role, as it will allow his agent to talk to a wider swath of teams before determining the right fit.

1. chaseutley - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Adding Myers or Madson in the setup role would go a long way toward shoring up Philly’s bullpen.

2. dondada10 - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

He’s like a whiter, trashier, poorer man’s John Smoltz.

3. pkswally024 - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ill take it don

4. gallaghedj311 - Nov 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Rather have Madson

5. kirschmania - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Twins should take a run at him. We need all the pitching help we can get.

• albertmn - Nov 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

He would be they type of pitcher that might fit into the Twins price range, and could be a really good fit. Their plan is to try to add pitching.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3245)