Nov 3, 2012, 12:22 AM EDT
It appeared Dan Haren was Chicago-bound just a few hours ago, but he’s now a free agent.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the Angels have declined the $15.5 million club option on Haren’s contract for 2013. He will receive a $3.5 million buyout and test the open market.
Yes, somehow the Angels were able to trade Ervin Santana, but couldn’t find a taker for Haren. Most thought the reverse would happen at the start of this week. Very strange. Of course, it’s not clear why the proposed trade with the Cubs fell apart and it’s possible Jerry Dipoto simply didn’t have enough time to find another deal he was satisfied with. Given the reports that the Angels were actually going to send money to the Cubs for Carlos Marmol, perhaps the failed deal was a blessing in disguise.
Haren, 32, is coming off a disappointing season where he posted a 4.33 ERA and 142/38 K/BB ratio over 176 2/3 innings while showing diminished velocity and dealing with a back issue. However, there will likely be plenty of teams lining up for a possible rebound.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 20
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 217
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (217)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)