Dan Haren said yesterday was “one of the most anxious days” of his life

Nov 3, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

Dan Haren Getty Getty Images

If you thought the drama involving Dan Haren yesterday was crazy from an outsider’s perspective, just imagine being the guy in the middle of it all.

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com caught up with Haren late last night after the proposed deal with the Cubs fell through and the Angels bought out his $15.5 million option for 2013, making him a free agent.

Haren actually followed the proceedings via Twitter, which he admitted was pretty nerve-wracking given the constant conflicting reports throughout the night.

“I don’t even know what to think, really,” Haren said in a phone interview with MLB.com late Friday night, moments after his roller-coaster day was finally over. “This day has been one of the most anxious days of my life, definitely of my baseball career. I’ve been glued to my phone all day. I’ve tried to stay as busy as I could, but the fact of the matter is I was trying to keep up with what was going on.”

Once reports surfaced regarding the trade, Haren and his wife warmed to the idea of spending some time in Chicago. However, it wasn’t long before Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told him that the deal was off and that his option was being declined.

“I don’t know what went on on his end, but I knew he wasn’t going to make any quick decisions,” Haren said. “I had the feeling that it was going to go on throughout the day, and it definitely did. I knew the deadline was today. My agent was in town and we were kind of going through it together. Like I said, it was a very anxious day for me, for my wife, just not knowing where our next city would be. I thought for sure it would be somewhere else. I thought for sure I’d know today where I’d be playing next year, but that’s obviously not the case.”

Haren is interested in returning to the Angels and would do so at a discounted rate, but Dipoto said last night that the possibility isn’t all that likely. On the bright side, the 32-year-old right-hander got a $3.5 million buyout for his troubles and should fetch a multi-year deal as one of the top starting pitchers available in free agency, even coming off a down year.

Keeping Zack Greinke is expected to be the Angels’ No. 1 priority this offseason, even though Dipoto says that he isn’t “isolated” on signing him. It’s going to take big money to keep Greinke in the fold and he appears to have quite a bit of leverage with the Angels at the moment, as their projected rotation for 2013 currently includes Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, Jerome Williams, Garrett Richards and Barry Enright.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Is Ned gonna Ned?

• dodger88 - Nov 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I suspect yes and if it is a 1 year deal go for it. But Ned being Ned……………

2. sidelineshot - Nov 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Am I going to make 15.5 million next year? Or, am I going to get 3.5 mil handshake and get another boatload of cash someplace else?
    Dude …. be real !

3. indaburg - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I would like to trade lives with Mr. Haren.

4. lew24 - Nov 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I hope the Dodgers give him a call.

5. badintent - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I hope the Jays give him a call, he is Canadian.

• clydeserra - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think you are thinking of Rich Harden. Haren is not Canadian or Dutch

• mJankiewicz - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

hahah where did you come up with the idea that he’s Canadian? I’m pretty sure he’s of Mexican descent.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

lmao on sidelineshot comment…exactly what I was thinking….I would like that kind of problems my anxiety was one month where I didn’t know if I was going to.make rent and lose my home because I got laid off…but HEY to each his own lmao

• clydeserra - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

right, because when you make millions of dollars you cease to have human feelings

7. calichowd - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Still 3.5 mill is a lovely parting gift.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

and that’s another problem I have when people want to defend it…so what if he has human feelings haha…the guy is walking away with 3.5 million! do you understand how much money that is can you even comprehend??? I wish my boss would of dobe that…”hey I’m sorry but were goog to have to let you guy here’s 15 thousand as a good bye haha…please let’s be real about this people…rich people problems I swear

9. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

And you think the NHL has problems ?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5437)