Dan Haren said yesterday was “one of the most anxious days” of his life

Nov 3, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

Dan Haren Getty Getty Images

If you thought the drama involving Dan Haren yesterday was crazy from an outsider’s perspective, just imagine being the guy in the middle of it all.

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com caught up with Haren late last night after the proposed deal with the Cubs fell through and the Angels bought out his $15.5 million option for 2013, making him a free agent.

Haren actually followed the proceedings via Twitter, which he admitted was pretty nerve-wracking given the constant conflicting reports throughout the night.

“I don’t even know what to think, really,” Haren said in a phone interview with MLB.com late Friday night, moments after his roller-coaster day was finally over. “This day has been one of the most anxious days of my life, definitely of my baseball career. I’ve been glued to my phone all day. I’ve tried to stay as busy as I could, but the fact of the matter is I was trying to keep up with what was going on.”

Once reports surfaced regarding the trade, Haren and his wife warmed to the idea of spending some time in Chicago. However, it wasn’t long before Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told him that the deal was off and that his option was being declined.

“I don’t know what went on on his end, but I knew he wasn’t going to make any quick decisions,” Haren said. “I had the feeling that it was going to go on throughout the day, and it definitely did. I knew the deadline was today. My agent was in town and we were kind of going through it together. Like I said, it was a very anxious day for me, for my wife, just not knowing where our next city would be. I thought for sure it would be somewhere else. I thought for sure I’d know today where I’d be playing next year, but that’s obviously not the case.”

Haren is interested in returning to the Angels and would do so at a discounted rate, but Dipoto said last night that the possibility isn’t all that likely. On the bright side, the 32-year-old right-hander got a $3.5 million buyout for his troubles and should fetch a multi-year deal as one of the top starting pitchers available in free agency, even coming off a down year.

Keeping Zack Greinke is expected to be the Angels’ No. 1 priority this offseason, even though Dipoto says that he isn’t “isolated” on signing him. It’s going to take big money to keep Greinke in the fold and he appears to have quite a bit of leverage with the Angels at the moment, as their projected rotation for 2013 currently includes Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, Jerome Williams, Garrett Richards and Barry Enright.

Latest Posts
  1. Rich Gossage would purge all of the modern home run records if he were in charge

Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT

Gossage

And his reaction to PED users in the Hall of Fame? “Are you f***ing kidding me?”

2. Sleeping Yankees fan explains his lawsuit. And still isn’t convincing

Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.23.03 AM

Local man goes on national TV to complain that he was humiliated by being put on national TV.

3. Word Crimes: The Hall of Fame — arguably — made a grammatical error on Greg Maddux’s plaque

Jul 28, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 7.11.36 AM

It’s “less” vs. “fewer” time in Grammatical Thunderdome.

4. And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Jul 28, 2014, 6:32 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 6.29.38 AM AP

The Dodgers sweep their rivals in San Francisco, the Rays complain about Big Papi and I complain about Southwest Airlines messing with my kids’ vacation.

5. Ian Kennedy to miss Monday’s start with an oblique injury

Jul 27, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT

Ian Kennedy Getty Images

Ian Kennedy’s left oblique is bothering him, so he’ll miss tomorrow’s start against the Braves.

6. Padres expected to activate Jedd Gyorko, DL Carlos Quentin on Monday

Jul 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT

Jedd Gyorko Jedd Gyorko

The Padres are expected to get Jedd Gyorko back from the DL, but lose Carlos Quentin on Monday.

7. Josh Harrison escaped yet another run-down

Jul 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT

Josh Harrison Josh Harrison

Josh Harrison kept the PIrates in the mix in Sunday’s game against the Rockies by using his legs.

8. Carlos Santana is unfathomably hot right now

Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Carlos Santana Carlos Santana

Pitchers do not want to be facing Carlos Santana right now.

9. Baseball’s controversial plate-blocking rule strikes again

Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Baseball’s implementation of home plate collision rules, meant to protect catchers, hasn’t gone as smoothly as expected this season. There was yet another example on Sunday afternoon in Philadelphia.

10. Chris Archer is unhappy David Ortiz admired his three-run home run

Jul 27, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Chris Archer Chris Archer

The Rays and Red Sox have been nipping at each other throughout the season, so it was no surprise that Chris Archer took exception when David Ortiz gawked at his three-run home run.

11. Report: Red Sox contemplating trading for Matt Kemp

Jul 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT

Matt Kemp Matt Kemp

According to an ESPN report, the Red Sox are considering a trade that could bring Matt Kemp to Boston.

12. Video: Frank Thomas gives emotional Hall of Fame speech

Jul 27, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT

frank thomas hall of fame

Frank “The Big Hurt” Thomas gave a tremendous speech — reflecting on his parents and upbringing in Georgia — Sunday at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, New York …

13. The six new Hall of Fame plaques …

Jul 27, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT

maddux plaque

Via the National Baseball Hall of Fame Musuem’s official Twitter feed, here are the six new plaques that will be added to the walls in Cooperstown after Sunday’s induction ceremony …

14. Derek Holland set to begin rehab assignment this week

Jul 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

derek holland getty Getty Images

Rangers left-hander Derek Holland is scheduled to throw a full-effort bullpen session on Monday at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas. If it goes well Holland will be cleared to embark on a 30-day minor league rehab assignment later in the week.

15. Throwback: Ted Williams’ Hall of Fame speech

Jul 27, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

ted williams hall of fame ap AP

On this Hall of Fame induction Sunday — Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, and Joe Torre are going in — we give you Ted Williams’ speech from 1966 …

16. Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real”

Jul 27, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

matt kemp getty Getty Images

The Mariners acquired Kendrys Morales from the Twins on Thursday for right-handed reliever Stephen Pryor, and they’re not done trying to beef up their offense.

17. Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston

Jul 27, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

mark appel getty Getty Images

Mark Appel was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi on Saturday despite posting a 9.74 ERA and 1.92 WHIP in 44 1/3 innings at High-A Lancaster. And he was invited to Minute Maid Park in Houston on Sunday morning to throw a bullpen session in front of Astros coaches and executives. This stuff is not sitting well with some of the players on the Astros’ current major league roster.

18. Yankees said to be eyeing Twins outfielder Josh Willingham

Jul 27, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

josh willingham getty Getty Images

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees are eyeing Twins outfielder Josh Willingham, who would require less of a committment in years and money than Alex Rios and Marlon Byrd.

19. Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes

Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

hall of fame logo large

So I have three – no, wait, just thought of another one, so four – theories about the Baseball Hall of Fame’s decision to reduce the time a player can spend on the ballot from 15 years to 10. I am not opposed to this rule, by the way. I have long thought 15 years was too long for a player to be on the ballot. And I am absolutely for some changes in the Hall of Fame process …

20. Jack Hannahan finally ready to join the Reds

Jul 27, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

jack hannahan getty Getty Images

Jack Hannahan is finally ready to rejoin the Reds’ active roster after missing April, May, June, and most of July following offseason shoulder surgery.

Three legends off to Cooperstown