Nov 3, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, police in the Dominican Republic said today that they have arrested three men suspected in the killing of former major league pitcher Pascual Perez during a home robbery on Thursday. Two other suspects are still at large.
One of the men who was arrested actually knew Perez and confessed that he and four others were planning to steal his $2,400 monthly pension. Police identified a second man as a low-level drug dealer while the third man was arrested after allegedly selling one of Perez’s cell phones for $6.25. The three men are expected to be formally charged later today while the other two suspects have been identified.
Perez pitched in the major leagues from 1980-1991, compiling a 67-68 record with a 3.44 ERA and 822 strikeouts in 1244 1/3 innings while making stops with the Pirates, Braves, Expos and Yankees.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)