It’s official: Mariano Rivera is coming back next year

Nov 3, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Mariano Rivera AP

Mariano Rivera is coming back for another season.

We heard last week that Rivera was “having second thoughts” about returning, but George A. King III of the New York Post reports that the all-time saves leader got in touch with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman yesterday to let him know that he plans to pitch in 2013.

“Rivera contacted us and wants to play,” Cashman told The Post.

Rivera was resolute in his intention to return for his 19th major league season after he tore the ACL in his right knee at Kauffman Stadium in May, but he was less sure about the idea in recent weeks. Understandable for someone who is set to turn 43 later this month and is coming off a major surgery. Rivera is a free agent, so the two sides will have to come to terms on a new contract. He made $15 million this year. The Yankees made a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer to Rafael Soriano yesterday, but the smart money is on him declining and looking for a closer job elsewhere.
  1. braddavery - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Never a doubt in my mind.

• dcfan4life - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Why would there be? What hall of famer wants to leave the game due to injury instead of on his own terms? Especially if he can still bring it like Rivera can.

• braddavery - Nov 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Why are you asking me these questions when I already stated that I knew he would return? You are basically agreeing with me, but in an argumentative way.

• dcfan4life - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Haha i did agree with you in an argumentative way, didnt even mean to do that.

2. randygnyc - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM

This is how a team player handles his business. Regardless of what his decision was, either returning or not, he made the decision in a timely matter. Instead of waiting for the last minute, Mariano now gives the Yankees time to plan accordingly. There is very little chance that a deal can’t be reached now that the decision to return has been made.

• vallewho - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Tell that to Andy P.

3. paul621 - Nov 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

So what are we guessing here, 2 years 15 mil from the Rockies? Sounds about right.

• raysfan1 - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Well, seeing as Soriano has a one year $13.3 million offer right now, no, you are low on your guess probably by about $10 million.

• cackalackyank - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I get you are listening to Aerosmith—Dream on, Dream on…..

• paul621 - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Well, at least some people found the humor in suggesting that he might sign somewhere other than NY…

4. retief1954 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Good! NYY will feature, and rely heavily on, a 43-yr-old closer, and a 39-yr-old shortstop next season :) THAT oughtta set them back a couple more years! This is a happy day! Hey NYY, I hear Reggie wants to play again, why not touch base with him?

• richter35lundqvist30 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Regardless of age they’re still likely to be above average players at their positions. Why not try being a fan of your team instead of hating on the Yanks.

• badintent - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Another slow day in Bean town ? Can’t wait for Ortiz to completely tear his Achilles next season. $25 million down the drain. And then there’s the MASH IR list and your great owner’s little back stab Unit.Have another Donut………………….Bobby Valentine.

5. samurai3939 - Nov 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Clearly reitef knows nothing about the Yankees, or how they handle the offseason. Be quiet, child.

6. Marty - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

East coast teams still matter?

• damnyankee13 - Nov 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

there are others?

7. cdeangelus - Nov 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

This man was my first ever personal baseball hero. I’m now a husband and a father, and I can still remember being in high school and the feeling of conviction I felt when he took the mound many years ago.

Rivera’s a player where I don’t care how good or bad he’s become. If he wants to play, I want him to play. If he tanks a season for the Yankees, I’ll go down with him. It might not make baseball sense, but for him, I don’t care.

8. historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Yea! Another season of: Damn you, Rivera. I love you.

• indaburg - Nov 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Word.

As much as I hate the Yanks, I am looking forward to hearing “Enter Sandman” and seeing Mariano again .

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

and, he’ll be eligible for my fantasy team again ;)

• indaburg - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Hehehe… that exact same thought crossed my mind. I’m trying FB for the first time next season. It’s actually what I’m reading about right now while I watch the Rising Stars game. Saturday night at my house. :-)

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

You better pace yourself. It’s a loooooonnnng off-season.

I got roped into college football…but wine makes it all good.

• indaburg - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I know you’re right, but I’m suffering from a particularly severe case of OSAD (Off-season Affective Disorder). I just have to hang on until pitchers and catchers report to my state. Three months. I can do this. I know I can.

I’ve tried football (both college and NFL) but it’s just not my thing. Basketball bores me unless I’m actually playing. I’ve been known to watch hockey in desperation (Lightning tickets are cheap and easy to get) but that’s not an option right now.

Uh oh. Panicky symptoms of OSAD are flaring up again. A glass of wine might just be the med I need right now.

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Oh, woman, I’m not making it without alcohol.

9. dkphilly1122 - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

The East will rise again…….Hurricane Sandy might have put NYC, Jersey and Philly down, but we all will bounce back and take a title next year…….atleast one of the teams revelant will anyways.

10. sjtorpitt - Nov 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

@retief . That 39 yr old SS led the MLB in hits, so why don’t you stop being a dumbass and don’t put your worthless comments here. Your obviously a hater of the Yankees and your bias completely overshadows Jeters season

11. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Nov 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

really happy to hear this news! baseball is better with mariano in it. somehow it feels like mo is going to have a lethal season, and i look forward to the challenge he presents for the tigers. long live rivera!

12. ermur22 - Nov 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Now if only Petite would be classy and let them know in a timely manner

• historiophiliac - Nov 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Well, it’s Pettitte, so expect a balk.

13. randygnyc - Nov 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I agree about Pettitte. He didn’t have that responsibility this year because he was coming out retirement. But now, as an active player, he really does have an obligation to the team to let them know as soon as possible. His delay this year cost him 7-8 million dollars. The Yankees got him at a 2 million dollar bargain this last season. This year they’ll have to pay him 10-11 million if he decides to play.

14. richwizl - Nov 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM

He’ll probably still be the best; the guy’s a freak.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3257)