Nov 3, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
The surgery was performed by team orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache and involved cleaning up bursitis in the AC joint. Guerra will begin a throwing program in six weeks and should be ready for spring training if all goes well.
Guerra posted a 2.60 ERA and a 37/23 K/BB ratio over 45 innings this season while going 8-for-13 in save chances. The 27-year-old right-hander began the season as the Dodgers’ closer, but lost the job to Kenley Jansen in May before requiring knee surgery a month later. He made it back in July, but was demoted in August and suffered a season-ending oblique injury after returning as a September call-up. He’ll hope for better luck on the health front in 2013.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)