Nov 3, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
The surgery was performed by team orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache and involved cleaning up bursitis in the AC joint. Guerra will begin a throwing program in six weeks and should be ready for spring training if all goes well.
Guerra posted a 2.60 ERA and a 37/23 K/BB ratio over 45 innings this season while going 8-for-13 in save chances. The 27-year-old right-hander began the season as the Dodgers’ closer, but lost the job to Kenley Jansen in May before requiring knee surgery a month later. He made it back in July, but was demoted in August and suffered a season-ending oblique injury after returning as a September call-up. He’ll hope for better luck on the health front in 2013.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)