Nov 3, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
With Mark McGwire set to accept the hitting coach job with the Dodgers, the Cardinals are expected to look in-house for a replacement.
While the Cardinals offered no comment on coaching matters yesterday, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the club may name John Mabry as their new hitting coach as soon as Monday. The club is expected to announce Triple-A Memphis pitching coach Blaise Ilsley as their new bullpen coach on the same day.
This would be a natural transition for Mabry, who joined Mike Matheny’s staff as assistant hitting coach last offseason after Mike Aldrete was promoted to bench coach. Another former Cardinal, he played eight seasons of his 14-year major league career with the club.
With McGwire on the way out and Mabry poised to be promoted, Cardinals intend to settle on their next assistant hitting coach from within the organization. It’s difficult to quantify the impact of two hitting coaches, but plenty of teams have jumped on board with the idea since Tony La Russa started the trend in 2008.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 48
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 46
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 7
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months