Nov 3, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
With Mark McGwire set to accept the hitting coach job with the Dodgers, the Cardinals are expected to look in-house for a replacement.
While the Cardinals offered no comment on coaching matters yesterday, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the club may name John Mabry as their new hitting coach as soon as Monday. The club is expected to announce Triple-A Memphis pitching coach Blaise Ilsley as their new bullpen coach on the same day.
This would be a natural transition for Mabry, who joined Mike Matheny’s staff as assistant hitting coach last offseason after Mike Aldrete was promoted to bench coach. Another former Cardinal, he played eight seasons of his 14-year major league career with the club.
With McGwire on the way out and Mabry poised to be promoted, Cardinals intend to settle on their next assistant hitting coach from within the organization. It’s difficult to quantify the impact of two hitting coaches, but plenty of teams have jumped on board with the idea since Tony La Russa started the trend in 2008.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)