Nov 3, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
With Mark McGwire set to accept the hitting coach job with the Dodgers, the Cardinals are expected to look in-house for a replacement.
While the Cardinals offered no comment on coaching matters yesterday, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the club may name John Mabry as their new hitting coach as soon as Monday. The club is expected to announce Triple-A Memphis pitching coach Blaise Ilsley as their new bullpen coach on the same day.
This would be a natural transition for Mabry, who joined Mike Matheny’s staff as assistant hitting coach last offseason after Mike Aldrete was promoted to bench coach. Another former Cardinal, he played eight seasons of his 14-year major league career with the club.
With McGwire on the way out and Mabry poised to be promoted, Cardinals intend to settle on their next assistant hitting coach from within the organization. It’s difficult to quantify the impact of two hitting coaches, but plenty of teams have jumped on board with the idea since Tony La Russa started the trend in 2008.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 9
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 118
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)