Nov 3, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Bored without some baseball games in your life? Well, I have good news for you. Some of the game’s top prospects will be featured in tonight’s Rising Stars Game in the Arizona Fall League, which will be broadcast live on MLB Network and MLB.com at 8 p.m. ET.
The annual Rising Stars Game has proven to be a stepping stone for prospects since the game’s inception in 2006, as Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com notes that 72.6 percent of participants have gone on to play in the major leagues. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Derek Norris and Mike Olt are among those who played in the game last year.
If we’re lucky, we might get to see Reds prospect Billy Hamilton run the bases tonight. The speedy 22-year-old set a professional baseball record with 155 stolen bases this year and is currently making the switch from shortstop to center field. Some other notable names to watch tonight include Tigers prospect third baseman/outfielder Nick Castellanos, Astros prospect first baseman Jonathan Singleton and Mariners prospect infielder Nick Franklin. Nationals prospect third baseman Anthony Rendon is a reserve for the East team while Mariners prospect catcher Mike Zunino, Cardinals prospect infielder Kolten Wong and Marlins prospect outfielder Christian Yelich are on the bench for the West. Cubs prospect shortstop Javier Baez likely would have participated, but he was recently forced to leave the Arizona Fall League due to a fractured thumb.
Jarred Cosart of the Astros is scheduled to start for the East team while Kyle Gibson of the Twins will get the call for the West squad, though they are unlikely to throw more than a couple of innings.
Below are the lineups for tonight’s game:
Rising Stars West: CF – Billy Hamilton (Reds), SS- Hak-Ju Lee (Rays), RF – Rymer Liriano, (Padres), 1B – Hunter Morris, (Brewers), 2B – Nick Franklin (Mariners), 3B- Cody Asche (Phillies), DH – Bryce Brentz (Red Sox), C – Tommy Joseph (Phillies), LF – Brian Fletcher (Royals)
Rising Stars East: LF – Brian Goodwin (Nationals), CF – Gary Brown (Giants), 1B – Jonathan Singleton, (Astros), DH – Nick Castellanos (Tigers), 3B – Kaleb Cowart (Angels), C – Austin Romine (Yankees), RF – Corey Dickerson (Rockies), 2B – David Adams (Yankees), SS – Chris Owings (Diamondbacks)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)