Nov 4, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
Despite Colon’s age and his suspension, the A’s will pay him $3 million next year, and an incentives package could push the deal to between $5 million and $6 million – including provisions in the event that Colon pitches in relief.
Colon only has five games remaining on that 50-game PED suspension, so he’ll be good to go one week into the 2013 season.
The 39-year-old veteran registered a superb 3.43 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 91/23 K/BB ratio across 152 1/3 innings this past year for Oakland while earning $2 million. He made 24 starts and no relief appearances.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)