Nov 4, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
Despite Colon’s age and his suspension, the A’s will pay him $3 million next year, and an incentives package could push the deal to between $5 million and $6 million – including provisions in the event that Colon pitches in relief.
Colon only has five games remaining on that 50-game PED suspension, so he’ll be good to go one week into the 2013 season.
The 39-year-old veteran registered a superb 3.43 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 91/23 K/BB ratio across 152 1/3 innings this past year for Oakland while earning $2 million. He made 24 starts and no relief appearances.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)