Nov 4, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Despite Colon’s age and his suspension, the A’s will pay him $3 million next year, and an incentives package could push the deal to between $5 million and $6 million – including provisions in the event that Colon pitches in relief.
Colon only has five games remaining on that 50-game PED suspension, so he’ll be good to go one week into the 2013 season.
The 39-year-old veteran registered a superb 3.43 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 91/23 K/BB ratio across 152 1/3 innings this past year for Oakland while earning $2 million. He made 24 starts and no relief appearances.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)