Nov 4, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Despite Colon’s age and his suspension, the A’s will pay him $3 million next year, and an incentives package could push the deal to between $5 million and $6 million – including provisions in the event that Colon pitches in relief.
Colon only has five games remaining on that 50-game PED suspension, so he’ll be good to go one week into the 2013 season.
The 39-year-old veteran registered a superb 3.43 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 91/23 K/BB ratio across 152 1/3 innings this past year for Oakland while earning $2 million. He made 24 starts and no relief appearances.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)