Nov 4, 2012, 7:57 PM EST
Outfielder Alfredo Silverio, who was ranked as the Dodgers’ No. 4 prospect by Baseball America before suffering serious injuries in a car accident in January, was sent outright to Triple-A on Sunday.
Silverio missed the entire 2012 season with a concussion and other injuries sustained in the accident. He had Tommy John surgery on his throwing elbow in May.
The right-handed-hitting Silverio broke through as a 24-year-old in Double-A in 2011, hitting .306/.340/.542 with 16 homers and 85 RBI in 533 at-bats. If not for the accident, he would have been a definite candidate to see time in the Dodger outfield last season with Matt Kemp hurt and left field often unsettled.
Silverio will remain in the Dodgers organization, but it’s unclear when he might resume playing in the minors. That no team claimed Silverio off waivers suggest that he’s still a ways off from getting back on to the field.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)