Nationals likely to cut ties with left-hander John Lannan

Nov 4, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT

john lannan getty Getty Images

The Nationals did not make free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson a qualifying offer by Friday night’s deadline and would seem to have an opening in their 2013 starting rotation for a guy like John Lannan.

But Lannan probably won’t be given that shot.

According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, “people familiar with the Nationals’ thinking” expect them to either trade Lannan this winter or non-tender him, allowing the 28-year-old lefty to walk as a free agent. The Nats could then used the money saved to pursue someone high-priced. Kilgore lists Kyle Lohse, Ryan Dempster and Dan Haren as possibilities.

Lannan had a 4.13 ERA in six major league starts this season while earning a $5 million salary as a second-year arbitration-eligible player. He spent the majority of the summer with the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs.

1. kkolchak - Nov 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Not surprising. The biggest problem with Lannan is that since his sophomore year in 2009 his number of innings pitched per start has gone down from 6.25 to only 5.56 in 2011 and 5.36 in limited duty in 2012. Not only does he have mediocre stuff, he doesn’t “save” the bullpen. He’s no better than a No. 5 starter at this point.

• dcfan4life - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Highest paid triple A player in baseball last year. This move isnt a surprise at all.

2. willclarkgameface - Nov 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

The problem with Lannan is Mike Rizzo.

• jyoung1891 - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I guess that you’ve never seen Lannan pitch.

• kkolchak - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM

REALLY hope Lannan not only signs with the Giants, but that they have so many pitching FAILS next year that he ends up as their No. 3 starter–just to show wcgf what a moron he is.

3. 12strikes - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Bad news for the Nat… They are going to need a pitcher when Rizzo decides to put Strasburg on the shelf for some in grown toenail he had when he was 12.

4. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

can someone please explain to me why this guy isn’t pitching in the MLB…now from my memory I remember him being a good number 4 or 5 guy…why have the nats not used him or try to use him this year???

• willclarkgameface - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Because Rizzo is a putz. And knows more than you ever will. Just ask him.

• kkolchak - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Speaking of all time world champion putzes.

• Old Gator - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

The explanation is given in the stats above. Five million and change with a dilating ERA and a steadily decreasing ability to keep his team in the game – losing about an inning per start per year last few years. This isn’t rocket science. Rizzo took this team from joke to playoffs. Gameface seems dedicated to posting here only often enough to prove what an ignorant, emptily opinionated clown he is.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Well said professor.

• jyoung1891 - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I bet that he’d look GREAT in pinstripes! Go for it!

5. dakotah55 - Nov 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It pains me to type this, but I agree with willclarkgameface on this one. The Nats paid Edwin Jackson 10 million last year for ten wins. Lannan had 10 wins the year before when the Nats weren’t nearly as good as this year. I’m confident he would have been a perfectly capable number 5 starter next year for half the cost of Jackson (or less). I expect him to catch on somewhere else and capably fill that role.

I now return to despising everything willclarkgameface says.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

There are plenty of measures you can use to distinguish between Lannan and Jackson, and you choose wins?

• dakotah55 - Nov 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The point is, the Nats need a #5 starter next year. The Nats decided Jackson doesn’t fit – I have no problem with that. I think Lannan would have been a perfectly fine #5 starter next year.

As to Jackson vs Lannan – Jackson is better. I don’t think he is 5 million dollars better, but you and all the GMs out there are free to disagree.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Nov 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

gator I didn’t see the comment until after I posted…so there you go…I still think he would fit well mabye in the al central weaker division…mabye the west with petco or San Fran big ball parks…ah well…someone will pick him up but not the yankees

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)