Nov 4, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
Free agent right-hander Dan Haren had a frustrating 2012, posting a pedestrian 4.33 ERA across 176 2/3 innings while fighting a lingering lower back issue.
Haren should still find plenty of interest on the open market this offseason, but if he would rather do a one-year “prove-it” style of deal to reestablish his value, there’s no better place than San Diego.
And it turns out the Padres might have interest.
Here’s Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune:
A smile crossed the face of the Padres general manager Friday night when the trade between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Chicago Cubs fell apart. The Angels were trying to send right-handed starting pitcher Dan Haren to the Cubs for reliever Carlos Marmol.
Instead, after the deal with the Cubs collapsed, the Angels bought out Haren’s option for $3.5 million – turning Haren into a free agent.
When it appeared Haren was headed to the Cubs, Byrnes Friday afternoon admitted Haren was among the “eight to 10” starting pitchers the Padres were very interested in.
Even with the Petco Park fences getting a makeover, San Diego is going to remain very pitcher-friendly.
And it shouldn’t take much for Haren to get back on track if he can get a handle on his back discomfort.
The 32-year-old registered a spectacular 3.17 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 192/33 K/BB ratio across 238 1/3 innings with the Angels in 2011. He boasts a solid 3.66 career ERA and a cool 1.18 career WHIP.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)